Did you mean: 

Different elevation

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Karol-Or
2761 Views, 12 Replies

Different elevation

I tried to extrude the shape but came out surface.

The LIST command says it has the same elevation but using CHANGE-->Properties-->Elev says they have varying elevations.

What does it mean for a line to have unit direction vector, like the arc has?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Karol-Or

Hi,

define a UCS with 3 points on your existing geometry.

Then run command _PRESSPULL ==> 3D-Solid will be created 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

The longest radius arc has a negative normal Z, the other arc and line have a positive normal Z.  The negative Z arc was either created with a modified UCS or rotated somehow.  You can use the ALIGN or 3DALIGN commands to to "flip" it over by selecting the center for one source/target pair and opposite ends of the arc for source and target.

Additionally, the line extends past the end of the arc so the object would not close.  If you have 2018 you might be able to extrude a solid (PRESSPULL) as Alfred suggests, but earlier versions will require cleaning up that end and creating a closed pline or region for extrusion.

Message 4 of 13
Karol-Or
in reply to: Anonymous

I am having difficulty using 3DALIGN, but i managed to change direction of the unit vector, but still it's not exactly z=-1 like the others.

Must the unit vector of all objects be the same?

What does it mean for a line to have a directional unit vector?

The Lisp i received here gave me the extrusion direction unit vector. what is it? i don't find it on the help.

I drew a circle which doesn't snap to anything and still the extrusion direction unit vector deviates from the z axis.

Message 5 of 13
Karol-Or

I drew a new arc, PEEDITed and joined only 2, why doesn't the third join?

The extrusion direction of the new, long arc is x=-1, whilst those of the others are z=-1

Does every entity have a UCS created with it?

Message 6 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

may I ask why you don't go the more easy way of _PRESSPULL? Look to my attached video which shows the workflow.

And yes, objects can have their local coordinate system, otherwise you would never be able to draw a 2D-object (like a circle, arc, (LW-)polyline) in the 3d space.

And that's why I love _PRESSPULL a lot, I don't need to take care for that differences in the border objects.

BTW: you don't need AutoCAD 20118 to go the workflow, in the video you can see it's done with AutoCAD 2017 and works well 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 13
Karol-Or
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It worked with PRESSPULL.

I asked it before but i forgot why you write the lower dash before the command: _PRESSPULL, you do it in the video.

With what does this command differ from EXTRUDE, which i didn't succeed with?

Message 8 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> why you write the lower dash before the command: _PRESSPULL

"PRESSPULL" is a command working only in the English version of AutoCAD. When you use an underscore before the English command name you can start it in every other language of AutoCAD too.

>> With what does this command differ from EXTRUDE

1. It works like hatch ==> searching the borders and make the border closed (if possible)
  2. It can automatically see it's a hole in an object, so automatically does a subtract, e.g. if you have a box, on one side of the box you have a circle and you use _PRESSPULL to extrude the circle and then "pull" it into the box ==> the command will automatically subtract the extruded circle (cylinder then) from the box
  3. It can extend an object in the incoming angles of a 3D-Solid, not just do a vertical extrusion like shown in the following video
  4. other differences exists too, but I guess the top 3 ones are the above ones!

This video shows the automatic subtraction as well as the different result when pressing <CTRL> before selecting a face on an object, so _PRESSPULL extrudes vertically or along with the existing angles.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 13
Ranjit_Singh1

DXF 210 only controls entities which are represented in OCS (such as a block and mostly entities which are planar in nature). Lines are always represented in WCS irrespective of the UCS in which it was created. Once it's created 210 has no control and cannot have any impact on the line's orientation even though you can keep changing this dxf code. The only impact it has is on the extrusion direction.

For example, create a line in world UCS and type below

(setq etdata (entget (entlast)))
(entmod (subst '(210 0.0 1.0 0.0) (assoc 210 etdata) etdata))

Now select the line and in properties change the thickness of the line to something other than 0, say 100. You will see that the thickness did not extrude in the z direction but in the Y direction. That's all what the direction vector (dxf 210) does for lines.

>>So i think any object can have numerous extrusion vectors, it's not unique, and it depends on the UCS with which it was drawn, no?<<

No. As I said above, entities which store information in OCS can have only one dxf code; the vector normal to the plane in which they lie. For example a block stores its co-ordinates in OCS. The instance you modify the 210 code for a block it's orientation/ plane will change. Create a block and try the above code; or try it with any other planar entity, like arc or circle. You will see that the orientation changes and the object relocates (since the co-ordinates are in OCS)

Message 10 of 13
Karol-Or

PRESSPULL caused my computer to lock. it took a long time the first time i used it. better to close a loop, if it's possible and use EXTRUDE

Why can't i close this one?

Message 11 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> PRESSPULL caused my computer to lock

Which version and service pack of AutoCAD do you have?

For AutoCAD 2017 (Update 1.1) as well as with AutoCAD 2018 it's done within a second (as you can see on the video).

Have you first set the UCS as I showed it?

>> Why can't i close this one?

I don't know what you did, I used command _BPOLY and it worked well.

Generally the arc and line on the left side are always a bit critical for intersection calculation (sorry that I don't know the exact English word for that, a translation engine gives me "glancing intersection" as search result, hopefully that is better to understand)

ACADsupp_BPolyFromArcs_2018_AN01.gif

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 12 of 13
Karol-Or

I don't find BPOLY on the help of 2013, where, on the Autodesk site, are the commands?

I downloaded the offline Help and installed but nothing happened. will it work only when i am offline, without internet connection?

Message 13 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

do you find command _BOUNDARY (>>>details<<<), it's the same command, but I guess this one is listed in the help.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta