Did you mean: 

dialog box missing

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
30767 Views, 31 Replies

dialog box missing

when using certain commands ie insert or dimstyle my dialob boxes do not display. instead it gives me prompts. i have changed the system variables to (1) and nothing changed. any suggestions? i am using autoCAD 2010

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: scottspeig

that was a good idea but there wasn't anything hidden. i know someone mentioned resetting autoCAD to defaults, that's probably what i need t do but unfortunately this is my work computer and i don't have time to reset it. 

Message 22 of 32
TheCADnoob
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you closed the program down and restarted it yet?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 23 of 32
gotphish001

You probably did this, but just to be sure. All those variables you changed need to be 1. You aren't changing one of the variables to 1 then it has no affect then changing it back to 0 then trying to change another variable to 1 and so on?

Are all commands not showing the dialog boxes or just insert? Redefine the insert command, maybe it got changed by something.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

i left them all 1 and haven't changed any back to 0. and it is most of the commands that give dialog boxes are just giving me prompts ( insert, dimstyle, attdef, text stlye)  the ones like that.

Message 25 of 32
scottspeig

Try checking your CUI

I've typed in "-dimstyle" and that recreates the command you have. This is to update dims (the command display name is -DIMSTYLE, macro is ^C^C_-dimstyle _apply) for dimension update.

The command for the dialog box for the actual dim styles is dimstyle (Command name DIMSTYLE, macro '_dimstyle)

If you already knew that, and there's nothing wrong in the CUI (be careful between - (hyphen) and _ (underscore), then I think the only option would be to restore the defaults...

Message 26 of 32
DannyNL

Sounds like AutoCAD cannot find the necessary files to use dialogue boxes. You might try using a clean AutoCAD profile.

Go to Options-->Profiles tab and click Add To List on the right. Give a new name and close the dialogue box. Now double click on the new name or select it and click Set Current on the right to activate it. Now click on Reset and confirm you want to reset the profile. Close the Options, close AutoCAD and restart.

Check if the commands now work. If they do, compare the Support File Search Path on the Files tab for both the old and the new profile. If there are any missing add them to the old profile as well, make it current and restart AutoCAD again. 

If above doesn't work; I'd noticed you did mention it is your work computer. Are you working only on one and the same PC or do you switch between PC's? Or did you recently got a new PC?

If you did switch or get a new one and you are logging in with a domain username, it could be that AutoCAD is referencing files that are not yet available in your Windows user profile on that specific PC. You probably did get an error message at startup with something like 'missing base.dcl'

Only solution is AutoCAD to force to copy those files again and that can be done with Start --> All Programs --> Autodesk -->AutoCAD 2XXX --> Reset Settings To Default.

If you have no customization at all, you can safely use this to reset AutoCAD without any problems. But if you did make any customization incl. changes to your workspace and/or CUI, depending on your setup and where those files are located, you will lose all your changes unless you make a backup of these. So make sure to check and double check. Use at your own risk!

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous

Check you Dynamic view on or off Dynamic input.png

Message 28 of 32
markleoparte

try DYNMODE = 1

Message 29 of 32
fnovosel123

Did you happen to find a solution, I have the same problem.

Message 30 of 32
waltinvt
in reply to: fnovosel123

Me too. 

Nothing brings up script dialog box.

Message 31 of 32
pendean
in reply to: waltinvt

@waltinvt wrote:

Me too. 

Nothing brings up script dialog box.

Is FILEDIA system variable set to 1? Look up usage in HELP if you wish to know more.

CMDDIA variable should also be set to 1 too.

Then ensure you are activating the core command by typing it and placing a period ahead of the work like this

.SCRIPT

HTH

Message 32 of 32
waltinvt
in reply to: pendean

Thank you so much. Of all I've read, here and elsewhere, this is the first
I've heard of the "period" before "script" to bring up dialog box.

Maybe I can pick your brain on a sort of related, actually opposite issue:

I've been successfully using a combination of Multi-Batch & PdfFactory for
batch processing groups of dwgs in Autocad 2004 for decades. All of a sudden
all my routines stop at the first dwg, hanging with a Autocad dialog box
pop-up, usually "do you really want to exit without saving". I've tried all
the usual dialog box suppression variables with no success. Resetting expert
doesn't stop it and Patrick at Multi-Batch had no solutions.

Currently I have to sit and physically click "cancel", then type "resume" to
get the routine to move on to the next dwg. Problem with MultiBatch is what
it actually sends to Autocad is not all that you see when you edit their
routines.

I'm sure this is simply something my 78 year old brain is not doing
correctly but it's very frustrating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report