Did you mean: 

DeleteME error in AutoCAD with Excel

53 REPLIES 53
SOLVED
Message 1 of 54
Anonymous
7149 Views, 53 Replies

DeleteME error in AutoCAD with Excel

I have the dreaded "DeleteMe" excel file error.  It's not working on two designer's machines after running a large number of Microsoft office updates released almost 2 weeks ago.

In troubleshooting the issue - I saved the file locally, tried again.....DeleteMe.....  I saveas the file to "test.dwg" so no special characters....DeleteMe.... I saved to my root drive, saved to an external harddrive, etc....all resulted in DeleteMe...

The simple fix is to export to .CSV file format.  Can't do that as some of my attributes have commas in the data and that throws it off.... .xls is the only file format that I can use...

This is only happening on the two machines that ran the updates... None of the others.

We have been running data extractions on our drawing files for years without issue so it's not something new with our blocks or drawings...

I've ran audit's, recoveries, etc.... purged, copy and paste to new drawings, other drawings, multiple drawings, 2017, and 2018.... I even tried Architecture.... Still get "DeleteMe"

Help!!!

@Anonymous,

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity:DeleteME arghhhhhh

53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
gotphish001
in reply to: Anonymous

Restore back to a point before the updates. I don't have more advice than that as I'm not familiar with that error. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 3 of 54
TheCADnoob

Everything I've read seems to have to do with the file name in some sort of fashion. It looks like you have tried most everything suggested. 

A work around with the CSV would be to use the import data in excel. In other words dont click the CSV file to open but rather open excel first then use the Data>get & transform data>from txt/csv. This will allow you to choose your deliminator so you can import the data and not use the comma as the separator. the you can save as xls. 

Perhaps there is somthing going on with the file control.. 

Have you tried running the problem machines as administrator to see if it makes a difference?

What are the differences between the systems that are showing the issue and those that aren't? are they all the same OS and version? 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 54
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you share the DWG and XLSX files?  I suspect that there is a character in the file name that creates this problem but I would like to test on my side to see if I can narrow the problem down.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Can't share but as part of the trouble shooting... I saved the file as  "test.dwg" on my desktop, on my c:\ root drive, and on a secondary Hard drive (D:) and all of them returned the same issue.  I've also done a complete reset of 2017 and it didn't work... Also tried in 2018 - same issue...

All of the "normal" causes of this issue have been removed and the data extraction still fails.

The one thing that did work - I was able to use Architecture to create a table and then export the table... but we don't have the training / license to roll that out for a quick fix.

Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Systems are all Windows 10 Enterprise (fortune 200 company size), dell precision workstations, with Office 2016.  We've checked virus protection logs, etc....

The one thing the systems have in common - those with the office / window updates pushed aren't working and those without the updates yet are still working.

Message 7 of 54
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Just as a test, can you save your existing acad.exe.config file and try the one I have attached?  This should correct a .Net error I believe might be involved with this issue.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 54
kevin

Another user just reported the exact issue on their machine running 2016.... So it's now and issue in 2016, 2017, and 2018...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/autocad-2016-data-extract-not-working-with-excel-2016/t...

Message 9 of 54
john.vellek
in reply to: kevin

HI @kevin,

Thanks for the heads up. I have just installed one of the MS updates that I think might be causing this issue. I will be doing some testing as quickly as possible.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 54
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I found that removing Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4041676) from my system allowed me to create the extraction and export to Excel properly. Can you try this on your side and let me know how it performs for you?

John Vellek

Message 11 of 54
Anonymous

I do not have that security update on my machine but will uninstall the ones that did install yesterday to determine if any fix the issue

Message 12 of 54
Anonymous

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4041691) was installed on my machine.  We have uninstalled it, took about 30 minutes to complete - and now the data extraction is working great.  However, we had also reduced some security settings on my machine and are in the process of running the uninstall on the second user's machine to verify that it indeed fixed it.

Our IT staff is going to pull the update from our queue and John, I'm assuming you'll pass this information along to Autodesk's programmers for them to work on a solution?

Thanks so much for your help!

Message 13 of 54
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I am on this as it appears there are possibly a couple different updates that broke the Excel connection and apparently Autodesk apps aren't the only ones affected.

I appreciate your help and patience!

John Vellek

Message 14 of 54
Anonymous

Thanks again John.... I'm going to e-mail you from my work e-mail.

Message 15 of 54
anita_sims

I'm having the same problem and it just started this morning. I didn't have the problem last week, so I suspect they must have run the security update for Windows over the weekend. Since there is no way I can get my company to undo a security update could you let me know if you find an AutoCAD fix for this? I'll use the CSV work-around until then, but it does add extra steps and I use this process A LOT so I would like to avoid extra steps.

Any info on a real fix would be appreciated!

Message 16 of 54
john.vellek
in reply to: anita_sims

HI @anita_sims,

I don't have any updates on this problem yet but I know the team is working hard to find resolution. I suggest that you implore your IT group to make an exception for a few days on this issue.

I will come back to this thread when I have more information to share.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 54
anita_sims

I just checked what was updated on my system over the weekend and there were 3 updates. KB890830, KB4043766 & KB4041681. So the specific one you mentioned was not updated on my system yet, and I still get the error. - Just FYI.

Message 18 of 54
john.vellek
in reply to: anita_sims

HI @anita_sims

It looks like the last one is on the list of known updates that are causing the problems.  Her is a link to a post that state the issue to the best of my knowledge.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 54
stefan.sutter

Hi John

I have the same issue. On my computer are installed the Security Update for Windows KB4041678 and KB4040685.

Best regards

Stefan

Message 20 of 54
ArnoJvR
in reply to: stefan.sutter

Hi John

We have been using data extraction extensively to extract the coordinates from drawings received from site.  It has bees about 30 days since we last used it and today I have the same issue getting the DeleteMe in excel.  Your assistance in this issue will be greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately I do not know where to find the Security Update for Windows and cannot give you any feedback on that.

Regards

Arno

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost