Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Linked Table vs Paste Special (linked) Table

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jamesmac1201
653 Views, 4 Replies

Data Linked Table vs Paste Special (linked) Table

Does anyone have any literature on the advantages / disadvantages of Data Linked Tables vs Paste Special (linked) Tables? I recently switched over to using Data Linked (Excel) tables in my Civil 3D drawings. Just curious on the community on how they insert their tables. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SeeMSixty7
in reply to: jamesmac1201

I've always found it more beneficial in the long run to use plain text entities imported from a database or even text file in some way shape or form. Link tables have in the past created confusion, dropped links, suffered from reformatted data in a source document, relied on older documents versions, add in revisions tracking, drive mappings, document management systems, and more and things get even more "entertaining"

The simplicity of pasting in a simple table for one off drawings is a neat feature and easy enough to implement for it though. 

It all just boils down to the discipline and processes used. As long as everyone is educated and understands where and how to use the data, it works. Just document and educate, and hope some one reads the document, grin.

Good luck,

Message 3 of 5
jamesmac1201
in reply to: SeeMSixty7

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the statement "The simplicity of pasting in a simple table for one off drawings is a neat feature and easy enough to implement for it though"?

Message 4 of 5
SeeMSixty7
in reply to: jamesmac1201

On that particular statement. I was referring to the fact that it is relatively easy now to simply copy and paste from excel or another text source directly into AutoCAD.

Message 5 of 5
jamesmac1201
in reply to: SeeMSixty7

Got it. I'm currently using 2018 Civil 3D. When I used 2016, drawings would sometimes crash when I copy/paste special excel spreadsheets in my drawings (as linked documents). It was very intermittently. We switched over to data links and did not have any issues (knock on wood). However, I have notice better performance with copy/paste special in 2018 (no crashes yet). Just curious of what the community thought of the two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta