Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Linetype

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1438 Views, 19 Replies

Custom Linetype

I am trying to create a custom linetype with solid circles at a specified distance along the custom linetype (see attachment). I have tried using a shape, the special Wingding character but cannot get the result I want. I've tried the hatching method, again with no luck. I've went through the discussion groups, online content, etc. but cannot get it to generate the line the way I want. I see a few people that have been successful but I cannot get it to work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

post your linetype code

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

I don't have any linetype code?? I am trying to create the custom linetype using the Express Tools/Tools/Make Linetype.

Message 4 of 20
Charles_Shade

Using a POLYGON with many facets does not want to get picked up by the Line generator either.

Was hoping that would be the cure.

Message 5 of 20
sthompson1021

Hi, I made the linetype in the attached dwg using the black circle character in the Arial font.

Message 6 of 20
Jay_B

"I've tried the hatching method, again with no luck."

Did you try a circle using a solid hatch and then use the MAKESHAPE command to create the shape and then specify the newly created DOT shape in the Linetype definition?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

Hi, that is exactly what I am looking for. I tried creating it with the black circle character from the Wingdings font with no luck. Is there a video or tutorial explaining the steps? I have tried numerous ways but must be missing a step somewhere. When I copy your linetype to another drawing the circles in the line becomes a question mark. I assume its searching for the shape file??

Message 8 of 20
sthompson1021

Hi, there shouldn't be a shape involved. To make the line type, I drew a line, then using the single line text command, I pasted the black circle character from the Arial font off the character map then drew another line. Then I used the make line type from the express tools. Here,s the line type code from the .lin file

*DOT,dot
A,3.22494,-.952524,["\U+25CF",Standard,y=-.217492,s=.5,u=.299465],-1.147226,3.313983

Hope it works for you.

Message 9 of 20
Jay_B

There are various methods and schools of thought as to using shapes vs. text to create the shapes.

If your interested in learning more about AutoCad Custom linetypes including creating shapes for Search Youtube for "autocad custom linetypes" and you'll find many helpful tutorials.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 20
sthompson1021
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi, I tried to make a shape out of a circle with a solid hatch when I did the line type. For some reason, the hatch wouldn't stay with the shape. I would just get the circle when I used the SHAPE command to insert the dot. Any idea's?

Message 11 of 20
tbennett

When Express tools asks you what you want the name of the file to be, it asks where to save it.  The linetype file is the linetype code.  If you open it with notepad you can modify it.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 12 of 20
steve216586

sthompson,

Don't use a hatch for shape files. I typically use a circle with lines inside the circle with a lineweight of 2.0. Even zoomed in significantly the circles appear as dots when printed.

I started using an array inside my dot with 360 lines then exploding the array. I have found I don't need this many lines to achieve a "fill" quality to my dot. You can experiment but 90 may work well for you depending on the dot size. Mine is .125" dia. The linewidth creates the "fill" anyway. You can use this method on rectangles, triangles, etc.

My linetypes are around 125 bytes using this method.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 13 of 20
sthompson1021
in reply to: steve216586

Thanks for the tip. I really don't use shapes as we have everything in blocks but I may start playing around with it.

Message 14 of 20
jggerth

The advantage to a shape in a drawing is generally a lighter weight file - the disadvantage is a huge _decrease_ in portability.   inevitably as the drawing is sent from user to user to organization to organization, the shape file needed to display it properly ends up missing.  Not to mention in-house trying to recover the dwg 5 or 10 years down the road when that custom shape file has been deleted/ignored/removed

As long as it's not possible to embed the shape definition in the dwg file, shapes for drawing entities are going to be problematic.  Blocks work far better in drawings, for everything _except_ linetypes.  And if the line types ever get out of the 1980's and join the 21st century - there will be about as much need for the SHAPE command as there is for AXIS or TRACE.

Message 15 of 20
sthompson1021

Ok, back to the original problem. What would you recommend to use for a dot?

Message 16 of 20
jggerth

first chioice : A character in the ARIAL ttf file, making sure that the Style exists in all the drawings that will use that linetype.  That's a preference because ARIAL is always going to be around.

Second choice would be a shape, since we can't use blocks in linetypes (yet).

third choice would be a block and the DIVIDE command but that can be a PITA when editing

Message 17 of 20
sthompson1021

So when the OP tried to copy the line type from my dwg to his and the circles turned into question marks,  was it because he had something different then ARIAL as the font used in the standard style?  

Message 18 of 20
jggerth

@sthompson1021 wrote:

So when the OP tried to copy the line type from my dwg to his and the circles turned into question marks,  was it because he had something different then ARIAL as the font used in the standard style?  

very likely.

One of many reasons to never use "Standard" as the name of anything you use as a drawing entity -- the next person down the road (or even yourself next year) may have Standard defined as something else.  You can't get rid of standard as a name, so just ignore it.

One useful practice is to name text styles by the font that is being used.  eg Arial and RomanS.  Another is to use a name that describes where that style is used, eg Noting, Titles, DimText.  Both approaches are oretty common - personally I find the foirmer quite usable.   And I typically define Standard text style to use the TXT font -- ugly enough that i can usually spot it and fix whatever text is pointing to it..

Discalimer -- one of the criteria I judge a drawing, a drafting practice, or a standard by is how effective it is in a collaborative environment.  Portability is critical IMO, 

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Open the linetype file with notepad and then modify it manually

Message 20 of 20
drafting605

Thank you, this worked for me! 🤜🤛

I was looking for this "\U+25CF"

*DOT,dot
A,3.22494,-.952524,["\U+25CF",Standard,y=-.217492,s=.5,u=.299465],-1.147226,3.313983

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report