Did you mean: 

Cursor Delay - CAD 2021

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
acicci
1957 Views, 14 Replies

Cursor Delay - CAD 2021

I'm experiencing a cursor issue in CAD. I've managed to trouble shoot it down to a few issues / causes

The Issue:

Certain commands cause my CAD cursor to disconnect from my regular mouse pointer. By this I mean that if I use the rectangle command. when I finish the rectangle the CAD cursor will remain where it was when the command ended while I move the mouse. The mouse still registers the movement, showing as the typical Microsoft arrow. After maybe half a second, the cursor snaps back to the mouse and everything is normal.

Specifics:

This only happens with certain types of commands. Basically any draw command that produces a new entity; Circle, Rectangle, Pline, etc, as well as dimension commands cause this issue. manipulation commands however (move, stretch, etc) are fine.

Current Fixes:

There are currently two scenarios where this doesn't happen.

1. Turning off the block insert palette that was introduced in (I believe) Autocad 2019.

2. Turning off DYNMODE (Setting it to 0. setting it to 1 will stop this issue from happening with draw commands, but persists for dimensions).

Note: If I don't have the insert palette open, I can run DYNMODE at 3 with no cursor issue. Likewise if I run DYNMODE at 0 I can have the insert palette open with no cursor issue. I don't consider these to be fixes because I want to use the tools that CAD provides and not using those tools seems self-defeating.

Thus far I have tried:

Resetting CAD to defaults

Reinstalling CAD

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
RobDraw
in reply to: acicci

This sounds like a hardware issue. Try disabling anything having to do with the cursor (There are a lot of them.) until it behaves normally.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 15
acicci
in reply to: RobDraw

Thanks for your response!

Could you be more specific? I don't know what you mean by disabling anything to do with the cursor. Are you referring to dynamic input? Also, for what it's worth, I've only started having this problem recently, and my cursor behaves totally normally in every other piece of software I own.

Regards

Message 4 of 15
vinodkl

Hi @acicci 

Try turning "ON" the "Hardware acceleration" and see if that fixes the issue. Type in the command "3DCONFIG" and turn it "ON". 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 15
acicci
in reply to: vinodkl

Hello and thanks for the response!

I already have hardware acceleration turned on. I tried turning it off but found it made the program less snappy.

Message 6 of 15
vinodkl

Hi,

Are the options inside the "hardware performance" enabled? If not then enabling them would make any difference?

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
Message 7 of 15
acicci

No sorry, no combination of hardware acceleration affects seems to have an affect. Only those options I listed in my original post seem to work for me. I'm debating doing a full reinstall (cleaning out the registry as well) but I'd rather avoid that if possible

Message 8 of 15
RobDraw

@acicci wrote:

Could you be more specific?

No. I was being generic deliberately as there are a lot.

@acicci wrote:

I don't know what you mean by disabling anything to do with the cursor. Are you referring to dynamic input?

Among many others. OSnaps, Object Tracking, Tool Tips, etc., etc., etc.

@acicci wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, I've only started having this problem recently

It's worth more than you appear to think. What has changed?

@acicci wrote:

my cursor behaves totally normally in every other piece of software I own.

Good.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 15
vinodkl

Hi @acicci 

Try the solutions listed in this article: Cursor is slow, jumpy, or jerky in AutoCAD 

If all of the solutions listed doesn't work then you need to clean reinstall AutoCAD or else you could wait until someone in the forum comes up with a solution to your problem🙂

Message 10 of 15
acicci
in reply to: RobDraw

I randomly turned off a bunch of cursor related options (the ones I could think of). Turning of dynamic input works, but I don't consider not using a feature that I like to be a fix.

I don't know what changed. Before I never had this problem, then my Insert Block Palette stopped loading blocks and the recommendation from autodesk was to restore my program to defaults. After doing that My block Insert Palette was fixed but this weird 1/2 second of mouse delay on all creation / dimension commands kicked in. 

There is an additional weird behavior I can add that I only just noticed, when I finish a command (that causes this issue) my cad cursor will display as the microsoft pointer until I move it. This leads me to believe that for whatever reason CAD is losing priority after finishing these commands, and then being given it again after something checks to make sure I'm using it.

Message 11 of 15
acicci

Unfortunately I've tried all of those fixes as well. It's looking more and more like I may have to do the clean reinstall

Message 12 of 15
acicci

Well as per my usual arrangement with issues on Windows, the nuclear option fixed it.

I deleted absolutely everything to do with CAD on my computer.

I removed all autodesk programs as well

I deleted the associated registry keys and folders

After a reinstall the problem has dissapeared

Cheers to all of you

Message 13 of 15
vinodkl

Great to hear that your problem has been resolved🙂👍

Message 14 of 15
pendean

Post a screenshot of your ABOUT command pop-up please.
And your GRAPHICSCONFIG command pop-up too.

TIA
Message 15 of 15
acicci

So believe it or not I was able to drill down deeper into this whole rigmarole 

The problem specifically lies in the august 11 2021.1 update. If anyone else is experiencing this issue; UNINSTALL THAT UPDATE

Cheers again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta