Did you mean: 

Cursor and crosshair dissapears

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
DHARPERG89FG
34779 Views, 16 Replies

Cursor and crosshair dissapears

WHY does the crosshair and cursor disappear, in view ports and working area but still display on the ribbons and toolbars.

Yet another bug in the program that AUTODESK seems to not care that it has been an issue for at least the past 4-5 years in the numbered releases, it might even be 10 years.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: DHARPERG89FG
Message 3 of 17
DHARPERG89FG
in reply to: pendean

I have tried all of these and they do not fix the problem.
Only sure fix is save the file close the file and reopen.

Message 4 of 17
pendean

If restarting the program is the only fix, then you probably need to turn off hardware acceleration in GRAPHICSCONFIG command to see if that help. The issue is your graphics hardware not being able to keep up with AutoCAD/LT's demands.

What does ABOUT command list as your LT version?
What is your OS?
What video card is listed in GRAPHICSCONFIG command as being used? And is that the one you were expecting the program to use?
Message 5 of 17
deke01

I have also tried those suggestions to varying degrees of success.
The most consistent remedy I have had is to use 'VSCURRENT' and change to 'Wireframe' from whatever it is. Then switch it back.
Or if it is set to 'Wireframe', switch it to something else, exit command, 'VSCURRENT' again and then switch it back.

Message 6 of 17
RobDraw
in reply to: deke01

You're barking up the wrong tree. This sounds like a local hardware issue. Can you replicate on another machine?

If not, then it is not a problem with the program. There are minimum specs to run it. Does your system meet those specs?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 17
DHARPERG89FG
in reply to: RobDraw

I have not been able to FORCE it or intentionally make it happen..... It just happened again.

I am using product version O.49.0.0 autocad 2018. I did turn off the hardware acceleration, after one of the reply's.
I have reviewed the recommended minimum specs , this is a corporate owned pc, It is and DELL and it meets and exceeds the minimum requirements.
I have noticed this issue mentioned on numerous message boards while searching for a fix or how to correct the issue after it happens, other than closing the file, not exiting AutoCAD , I tried the 4 options that were in the link sent on Thursday,

This generally happens when a viewport is active and the display is locked. The layout happens to be zoomed in or out and a mouse based Pan or a Mouse wheel zoom is done. And the crosshair decides to just go away. Only the arrow is usable while over a ribbon of tool bar.
To bring the crosshair back
Try any of the following:
* Click anywhere on the ribbon. This is the first thing I do and it has never worked for me, in the past..
* Move the mouse cursor over the Viewport Controls in the upper-left corner of the drawing window. Getting the cursor over this area when it is not visible is a challenge, even with using the control tap to flag where the cursor should be, challenge. But it actually worked this time.
* Change the visual style. In the past it has also happened while in the model tab and changing the visual style has not worked then.
* Switch between model and layout tabs This is an other I have tried in the past and today my Manages was looking over my shoulder as it happened so I dug out reply. This has not corrected it for me in the past, and did not today.

I have tried most of the other items

* Switch between model and layout tabs. This has not worked so far.
* Minimize and then restore AutoCAD. This I do not recall trying this
* Close and reopen the drawing. This is the 100% go to fix for me.
* Exit and relaunch AutoCAD. It has not gone this far unless it repeatedly happens in a single acad session.
* Change the color of the crosshairs. This has not worked for me
* Open a blank AutoCAD template, copy the model using COPYBASE from a point within the model and then paste the model to 0,0. This might be problematic if the original file has multiple layouts , having to transfer them to the NEW file and having to double check and adjust the viewport freezes, once they are transferred, or copy an pasted. Or there might be issues of having to reconnecting external references.
* Double-click the mouse wheel to zoom to extents.

Message 8 of 17
pendean

>>>...It just happened again....<<<
There is no universal fix for a random issue: sorry.

Your AutoCAD needs to be at the 2018.1.2 update level, check ABOUT command to confirm it is.
Then turn off LINESMOOTHING, LINEFADING, see if that helps.

Since you don't like to answer specific questions about details of your video card or OS, you may need upgraded (or downgraded) video card drivers too.

HTH
Message 9 of 17
RobDraw

@DHARPERG89FG wrote:
This generally happens when a viewport is active and the display is locked. The layout happens to be zoomed in or out and a mouse based Pan or a Mouse wheel zoom is done. And the crosshair decides to just go away. Only the arrow is usable while over a ribbon of tool bar.

This sounds like it might be somehow activating another viewport that is off screen, if that is even possible. The crosshairs would be in the active viewport off screen, not visible in paper space on screen. What happens if you type PS to bring it back to paper space?

@DHARPERG89FG wrote:
* Close and reopen the drawing. This is the 100% go to fix for me.

Are you saving before closing? If not, what happens if you do save, close, and reopen?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 10 of 17
pauliW8MSM
in reply to: RobDraw

Thanks @RobDraw !!! I only had the crosshairs missing on one tab and did all of the things above. The "PS" worked and I got back out. I got lost before, and I leave a little edge of the view port so I can click out and don't zoom all the way in. Somehow I must have got in another view port off the screen.

Message 11 of 17

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar frustrating thing happen to me while working in the model space. Entered a command and gone was my cursor, only visible in the ribbon or when I escaped out of the command.

I closed and restarted the software hoping it would solve the problem, but didn't work. Turns out my issue was I accidentally activated Snap Mode (F9) and the cursor would snap to points outside my visible area.

Message 12 of 17

Thank you! F9 solved my problem!

Message 13 of 17
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: DarFitzgerald

@DarFitzgerald wrote:

Thank you! F9 solved my problem!

Then another solution would be to set Snap to a smaller value.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 14 of 17

Thank you!  Solved it for me, too!  I keep hitting F9 instead of F8 by mistake.

Anne Coventry

Message 15 of 17
woehlKGKLA

I don't know why this happens just how to fix it when it does.

If you click on the 2D Wireframe in the upper left hand corner of your view port, your cursor usually comes back instantly.

woehlKGKLA_0-1693242158784.png

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Mouse-cursor-or-cr....

Message 16 of 17
hczinn
in reply to: hendrik.lamprecht

After trying the numerous other suggestions, this one worked for me.

Message 17 of 17

Thanks for this!
Somehow I selected grid snap and could not figure out why the cursor is off when command is activated. Changing to the polar snap went back to normal.
Cheers
Andre

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta