Did you mean: 

Convert STL file to Ansys file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mmart261
963 Views, 4 Replies

Convert STL file to Ansys file

Hello all,

I am a PhD Student trying to conduct Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on fish skulls. However, I need to convert a STL file to an Ansys file (see attached image) to conduct FEA, and apply a mesh and edit the STL files; therefore, is AutoCAD applicable for the task and if so, can you please inform me of the conversion of an STL file to Ansys file? 

Thank youScreen Shot 2021-06-30 at 8.14.52 PM.png

Tags (3)
Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
S.Faris
in reply to: mmart261

Ansys export is not available in Autocad. Did you try importing the .STL file to your Analysis software?

Refer : .stl to ansys 

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 4 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: mmart261

I am unaware of a direct stl importer to AutoCAD.  You could import the stl file into 3ds Max and then export the file as a dxf file which ANSYS will accept.

It's been awhile since I've used AutoCAD as input to ANSYS but I believe there are specific layer names you can use to define geometry, loads, and constraints in AutoCAD before exporting to dxf.  If you want to take advantage of AutoCAD to prepare your ANSYS FEA model I would still consider using 3ds Max as the file format converter to create either a dxf or dwg file that you could use in AutoCAD and then save to dxf in AutoCAD to create the file you can import into ANSYS. 

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 5
mmart261
in reply to: leeminardi

Does 3DS Max have a feature to refine the mesh and geometry? Thanks! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report