Convert solid to wireframe back to solid

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Drewpan
6740 Views, 5 Replies

Convert solid to wireframe back to solid

Hi Guys,

I drew a 3D part then cut and pasted it into another drawing. It worked but it turned the part into a wireframe isometric. What I want to do is show my 3d solid part next to my front and side views because even though the part is not complex, it is very hard to work out what it looks like from the Top Left Front views, but the 3D version is very clear. I have managed this before but I have forgotten how I did it. The original drawing is acad.dwt and the 3D part was acad3d.dwt. It must be a simple setting but I am not sure what the setting differences are.

Thanks guys

BTW - the Drawing IS my homework but what I want help with is learning.

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Drewpan

you can try this

Use CONVTOSURFACE to convert them into Surfaces.

Use SURFSCULPT to convert the Surfaces into a single 3D SOLID.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 6
j.palmeL29YX

@Drewpan wrote:

it turned the part into a wireframe isometric.

Was it really converted into a wireframe model (then it must have been exploded twice) or do you see it only in an wireframe visual style? 

Can you post your dwg's here please?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
dbroad

@Drewpan wrote:

I drew a 3D part then cut and pasted it into another drawing. It worked but it turned the part into a wireframe isometric. 

Cutting and pasting to another drawing won't explode 3d solids.  Check the visual style in the target drawing. It is probably 2d-wireframe. If you want to see it as a solid, choose another visual style.  Even if you have to recreate it, it's probably a plus for you since you will have gained more experience, since you are learning.  Don't post your drawing here. Speak with your instructor.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 6
Drewpan
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Ok, I have solved the problem.

When I pasted the 3D object to my drawing it was turned into a Wireframe Visual Style. When I changed it to Shaded it came out as I wanted it. I don't recall this being an issue previously as I didn't know about the VISUALSTYLE command but I do now and have learned something new.

Thanks all again.

Andrew

Message 6 of 6
dbroad

You're welcome.  Glad to help. The default visual style for new drawings is defined by the template.  Among the OOTB templates, only the acad3d.dwt and acadiso3d.dwt templates are predefined with the realistic visual style. It's easy enough to change with the viewport controls at the top left corner.  I hope your instructor will introduce you to viewbase on the layout ribbon tab.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta