Did you mean: 

Convert Curved Surface to Region in AutoCAD

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
wispoxy
5446 Views, 18 Replies

Convert Curved Surface to Region in AutoCAD

I need to convert a curved surface to a region so I can fuse it to another region. How can I accomplish this?

Region to surface not an option, I cannot go vice versa.

wisp_td64r.png

@wispoxy, john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: Region To Surface - Vice Versa Not An Option

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Patchy
in reply to: wispoxy

Convtosurface works for me.

Convtosurface.JPG

Message 3 of 19
pendean
in reply to: Patchy

They want to go the other way... "convert a curved surface to a region "

Message 4 of 19
Patchy
in reply to: pendean

Oops ☺

Redraw ☺☺☺☺

Message 5 of 19
wispoxy

Not sure if it's any easier for anyone or myself, but a LISP might be acceptable.

Message 6 of 19
wispoxy
in reply to: pendean

Wow, I typed out my title wrong and now I can't change it. I need a curved surface to a region as said on my main post.

The title may work.... It's not very specific... hmmm....

Message 7 of 19
SEANT61

The border of a Region can be curved, but Regions only exist as a flat surface.

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 8 of 19
john.vellek

Hi Andrew,

I don't have a quick answer for you but if you could attach a sample file I am happy to take a look and research internally to see if I can come up with something for you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Convert to SOLID instead of region and UNION.

Message 10 of 19
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

That's the direction I was leaning too but wanted to test on OP's drawing. Thanks - can you provide a good example for other users?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 11 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @wispoxy,

I am curious if this got resolved. Selecting the surface and giving it a thickness will change it to a 3D solid. I assume your region was created using section?

Can use section on the new solid to create another region? you could then connect the two?

John Vellek

Message 12 of 19
wispoxy
in reply to: john.vellek

Apologies, went on vacation for 10 days the Wednesday after posting. 

@Anonymous and @john.vellek, I can't release the cad, it's a consumer product to be released under contract. I'll try converting everything to a solid, then convert all the solids to a region with this > INFO <. It's very important the lab gets the cad as a region. Results will be shared today by 2:30 EDT.

P.S. @john.vellek Thanks for changing the subject line.

Message 13 of 19
wispoxy

Ok, it's good. I turned the Curved Surfaces to Solids, then Solids to a Region. Crossing my fingers for Autodesk to cut this process from three major steps to a max of two. This was a first for me and I don't think I'll be doing it for awhile again. Played with some parts for a while, but got everything exactly the way I wanted it. Thank you all for the help, and have a great new year!

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

Glad it worked out.  Usually, for most of us, the solid is our desired end product.  I've never had need to produce a region except as a method to create a solid.

However, to the best of my knowledge you cannot create a curved region, you can only create curved surfaces.  Even copying a face from a cylinder will result in a surface, not a region.

IF you don't need to original solids and only want the regions/surfaces, EXPLODE the solids.  There's no need to use the SOLIDEDIT>FACE>COPY method.

Message 15 of 19
wispoxy

I had to use SURFTRIM, convert to solid, then EXPLODE (as you mentioned) before converting to region. The faces I don't care about, it's the points of the 3D wiremesh I needed. That perpendicular solid connection worked beautifully. Got my drawing approved by the lab Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Glad it worked out.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

I had this issue and I figured out somehow

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

How to convert solids to a region?

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

If you don't need to keep the solid, command EXPLODE will convert each face to a region. If you want to keep the solid object, use the method @wispoxy links to in post no. 12 above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report