Conversion problems, help needed

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
269 Views, 4 Replies

Conversion problems, help needed

​Hello,

I'm trying to convert a .DWG file containing height information from measuring elevation in the form of a point cloud, to a format like .OBJ or .3DS. The file's been created professionally from a Leica land measurement device, and contains less than 200 points.

I'm attaching the file. Anyone that can help me with this conversion?

Side information: I've got a FME license but have a problem with text strings containing Swedish letters "åäöÅÄÖ", that generates an error when trying to write the file that seems to expect none such letters.

Thank you /Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

OBJ files need surfaces or volumes, points are not enough to work with.

Also for FME you first need at least surfaces (and use it with a thickness) or you need volumes.

Just to have points is not a valid information for FME systems.

You might use Civil 3D to get surfaces from points (but then you'll also need break lines to have a better match to the real land surface). Also there, just points does not automatically create correct meshing.

Have you got any more informations/data from your surveyor?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello Alfred,

Thank you for the reply. I'm an engineer, but a complete beginner at CAD. I'll use this information to build my house on a very irregular plot.

The file from the map engineer is a bonus; they usually don't do this, but I got more measurements just because they were kind, but left me the file as-is for me to handle.

Is there any chance you could help me with taking the information over to something like .DAE, 3DS, FBX, PLY or OBJ? I have Blender that can read many formats, but not .DWG.

I realise you'd need to convert into surfaces. I hope this is will not mean a lot of work; I'd be very grateful for some help getting those points or surfaces over to something Blender can read.

Thanks /Peter
Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I have Blender that can read many formats, but not .DWG

Then look to that DXF-file, Blender can read DXF. I saved your points to DXF format 2007.

>> I realise you'd need to convert into surfaces

But points can't be saved to formats like OBJ or FBX as points are no renderable objects.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred,

I've enabled DXF import in Blender, so I finally have a point cloud there. Now looking into converting it into surfaces in Blender.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta