Did you mean: 

Conversion From .STP to .DWG

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
181910 Views, 30 Replies

Conversion From .STP to .DWG

I was wondering if there is a way to convert files from .STP to .DWG on Autocad 2014? Or does the inclusive Inventor Fusion with the purches of Autocad have the conversion capabilities?

Thanks,

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

I take it you don't have AutoCAD 2014? IMPORT command offers many options otherwise, including STP (I think there might be a version limit though).
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I have the trial right now and wanted to verify before I purchased. I tried the import on the trial version and the file wont open. Would that be because of the trial version?

Message 4 of 31
pendean

No, the trial is full AutoCAD that simply times out after 30-days.
If the import failed, it means the STP is a format too high for AutoCAD.
Message 5 of 31
vladimir_michl

AutoCAD can import the most common STEP files of the AP214 and AP203E2 standards. If it fails, the Fusion 360 cloud conversion comes to the rescue:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum/import-formatu-iges-catia-pro-e-solidworks-nx-ad-v-autocadu-2013-tip...

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz  www.cadforum.cz 

Message 6 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
If the import failed, it means the STP is a format too high for AutoCAD.

There is no such thing as a STP format "too high" for AutoCAD.

Zip and attach the *.stp file here.

You will get a notification in the lower right corner of the screen when the import is completed and ready to open.

But attach the file here and I will verify that there is valid information within the file.

Translation Processing.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 31
JDMather

Did you figure out how to open a STEP file in AutoCAD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, the import worked for the STP file. Thanks.

Message 9 of 31
wklemp

I have AutoCAD 2014 for Mac, which only supports importing .sat files.   When I import a 3D part in this format, I can view and edit, but that part cannot be combined (boolean) with an existing part that I created in AutoCAD.  Is there some form of conversion process I need to go thru to make such parts truly compatible with DWG-originated parts? Thanks.

Message 10 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: wklemp

SAT files combine fine in my version of AutoCAD.  Are you importing it as a block and need to explode it to get the true 3D solid.  If it is actually a 3D solid but still cannot combine with other solids I would recommend trying the AutoCAD for Mac forumns.

Message 11 of 31
wklemp

It's messy in this case.  When I try to import the .sat file from within AutoCAD, nothing appears.  It's as if the file had no content.  I have to import into a cheap CAD (TurboCAD) program and then save as a DXF file.  Then it will open as a DXF, but the object (not a block) cannot be combined with native objects.  I tried saving the DXF file as a DWG first, but no luck.  It's like AutoCAD won't recognize this thing as a solid.  Thanks for the help, though.

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous

Depending on the version of dxf you are using, it may not support 3D solids.  Considering the round-a-bout way you are getting the object I am dubious as to what you really have.  When you select the object, what type of object does the properties palette say it is?

Message 13 of 31
wklemp

Good question.  It says "Body".  Whereas, my native part is called "3D Solid".  Can you convert a Body to a 3D Solid?

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous

I did a quick search for body to 3dsolid and found a few things out there but nothing all to informative.  Can you post an original sat before you convert it to a dxf?

Message 15 of 31
JDMather

@wklemp wrote:

...  When I try to import the .sat file from within AutoCAD, nothing appears.  

What version of ACIS (*.sat)?

Autodesk products will only read up to ACIS v7.

As suggested, Zip and attach your original *.sat file here if you want someone to fix it for you so that you can use it in AutoCAD.

(I would have posted in a new thread since this isn't a STEP file format question.)

Message 16 of 31
wklemp

Apologies for the poor thread choice.  Attached is the .sat file per your suggestion.  I am also attaching the .step version of the file.  The manufacturer seems to publish every other file format except .dwg!  Although I have been able to convert both the .sat and .step files (using another CAD program) into DWG, as mentioned above, the part comes through as a "Body" rather than a "3D solid", which apparently means I can't combine it with an existing 3D Solid (my ultimate goal).  Thanks again!

Message 17 of 31
JDMather

If I open the ACIS (*.sat) file in Notepad it indicates that it was created in SolidWorks and saved as ACIS v22.

This indicates to me that the SolidWorks user is not very experienced (otherwise they would know to save as v7.

ACIS v22.PNG

Opening either the ACIS or the STEP file in SolidWorks and running Import Diagnostics shows many errors.

Import Diagnostics.PNG

Particularly one side of the thread faces missing.

This indicates to me that either the SolidWorks user is inexperienced or that they didn't want you to have a full model.

Given that they saved as ACIS v22 I am guessing inexperience.

In any case, this is a simple model.  I would simply use the geometry they did supply only as reference to remodel the part from scratch in AutoCAD.  Should take 15-20 minutes to model the part.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous

Went through these same steps, however when i click on the bottom right corner where the link is, I get a command that the import has been ignored.

This usually happens when I try to import more than one file(even if i delete previous imported file).

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Message 19 of 31
JDMather

Zip and attach your *.sat file and end all doubt.

or

attach your dwg file here with the imported *.sat file so that someone can run the List command or Properties and see what you really have.

Message 20 of 31
Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta