constrain xref

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
703 Views, 4 Replies

constrain xref

I have a drawing with a rectangel.

I use parametric dimensions and constrain in order to define the Rectangle.

Then i insert 2 or more drawing in a new drawing as a xref.

Now i want to link the xref to each other.

Then when i change a dimension the rectangles has to replace and stick together.

So when i change the width(breedte) i don't want to repositioning the rectangels but stick together and don't have to move the other rectangles together again.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I am a little confused with what you are trying to do. You attached one drawing but not the rectangle one?  Could you do a screencast to demonstrate what you are having questions about. I look forward to helping you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

you can use only the insertion point of a XRef as constraint point, nothing else.

The reason is quite simple, if you would take a line within the XRef as basic geometry to anchore something onto it might happen that this XRef will afterwards be modified, the line might be erased, and so the constraint form before has lost it's base object ... result would be a defect contraint.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 5
john.vellek

Hi j.vanderheijden,

If @Alfred.NESWADBA is correct in his understanding of your problem, I concur with his answer. Constraints cannot be made on an Xref to entities in your drawing as the relationship cannot be maintained if the Xref is detached.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 5
cvbt-thailand

I can think of 3 work-arounds for this limitation:

- Bind the attached Xref to your drawing.

- Redefine the insertion point of the Xref to be the point you want to constrain or dimension to.

- Create some geometry (an object) in your drawing that relates the Xref insertion point to the desired dimension point and group the geometry with the Xref.

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report