Did you mean: 

circle plane different from UCS

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jdfnnl
662 Views, 4 Replies

circle plane different from UCS

I am trying to draw a circle on the horizontal plane defined by the UCS, but instead it is drawn as vertical. I would like to know how to control the orientation of the circle being drawn.

2023-08-13 14_50_30-.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Michiel.Valcke
in reply to: jdfnnl

Do you have your dynamic UCS active? You can find it among the drawing aids. 

MichielValcke_0-1691966035816.png

When active it will change your UCS rotation when hovering over a surface or face of a solid. It can be very handy, but also a pain in the butt. If you don't want it active use the F6 key. 

Circles will always be drawn on the XY plane, so if you want to manually change the orientation of your next circle, use the UCS command to change the XYZ origin, axis and planes. You can use the UCS->World command to set it back to how it was by default.

Message 3 of 5
ChicagoLooper

Hi @jdfnnl 

You can select the FACE of your 3D object to control the orientation of your circle. Try this:

101.PNG

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 5
pendean

Did you forget to set PLAN command to match "current ucs" by chance? required to draw 2D objects like CIRCLE on the correct ucs/face of objects.
Message 5 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Did you forget to set PLAN command to match "current ucs" by chance? required to draw 2D objects like CIRCLE on the correct ucs/face of objects.

Not true for me.  I set a UCS using the Face option, and I can draw things on that face without being in PLAN view in that UCS:

ucsFace.gif

The issue is something else -- in their original image, note the UCS icon's Z-axis direction, and that the Circle under construction clearly does not have that Z direction as "up" and "down" relative to it, as one would expect.

@jdfnnl, can you post a [small] drawing exhibiting this behavior?

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report