Did you mean: 

Chromium host executable are taking so much CPU power

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Flynn_corylus
19479 Views, 28 Replies

Chromium host executable are taking so much CPU power

Chromium host executable are taking 50-60% of CPU! and it is still taking the same amount even when I am not using AutoCAD or even anything else. And when using AutoCAD the CPU gets really hot that I am scared that the CPU are going to overheat. 

I'm using AutoCAD 2017

Window 10

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
john.vellek
in reply to: Flynn_corylus

Hih @Flynn_corylus,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

You might try logging out of A360 as a start. You can also switch from online help to local help.

Can you give me some specifics on your computer hardware? Perhaps you can attach an NFO file (put in a ZIP) for me to examine.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 29
john.vellek

Hi @Flynn_corylus,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 29
kimK7B54
in reply to: john.vellek

I'm having similar issue.  AutoCAD 2017 repeatedly freezes for 30 sec to 5 minutes, every couple minutes, or sometimes it will go 30+ minutes.  When it freezes, Chromium host executable is pulling 13.8% of my CPU (or 100% of one of my cores).  I'm in an office of several workers using AutoCAD and only my system is having this issue.  I have switched to local help, and I am not logged into A360.

When Chromium stops pulling 100% on one core, AutoCAD frees up back to normal.

This is putting an enormous hit on my productivity.  This just started happening yesterday (July 26, 2017)

System:  Intel core i7-7700k, 4.2 Ghz. (8 cores)

nVidia 1050Ti w/4 GB RAM.

32GB system RAM

M2 SSD hard drive 256 GB

Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit.

AutoCAD 2017; all updates are currently installed.

DirectX 12

Message 5 of 29
john.vellek
in reply to: kimK7B54

Hi @kimK7B54,

I am sorry this is affecting your productivity.  Please tell me if you log onto someone else's computer does it still behave this way? Or, conversely if they log onto your workstation does it happen for them? I am curious if there is something wrong in your user profile.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 29
kimK7B54

I don't see "accept as solution" option?

It appears IT, in an attempt to proof our network from the likes of ransom ware, changed permissions on user accounts; My profile was done improperly and appears to have been to culprit.  I have not had this issue re-occur as of yet.

I will accept as solution if you tell me how (tomorrow, after I'm confident the fix is stable.)

Message 7 of 29
Flynn_corylus

This seems to fix the problem, thank you 🙂 (sorry i've been busy lately 😅)

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

Also I have this kind of problem. I have a student license and I'm not signed in A360 when computer starts. In my computer problems are specially with CPU:s maximal frequency (2.50 GHz (apparently this is too little?)) When I shut Chromium host executable down in Resource Monitor, overheating etc. stops.
I'm sorry but I didn't understand what should I do to prevent this. Change some account settings (what?) ? Now I shut the process every single time down when I start the computer.

Win 10

i7

16 GB RAM

Message 9 of 29
Matthieudepauw
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same problem and i still don't know how to fix it! My computer is constantly blowing air and makes a lot of noise. 30% of my CPU is constantly taken, even if I don't use autocad... Is there anybody who can help?

Message 10 of 29

Hi @Matthieudepauw,

Try creating a new user account on your computer. Log on with that account and then start AutoCAD.  Do you still see the Chromium host eating up CPU resources?

John Vellek

Message 11 of 29

Hi John

The problem is that I have a student account, so I can only use the e-mail of my university.
For the moment I've just shut down the Chromium host in the task manager and it seems like it's working.
Hopefully it stays that way, otherwise I'll contact you again.

Thanks anyways!

Kind regards

Message 12 of 29

I am having the same issue. Chromium host exectutable is eating up my CPU and causing my computer to overheat. As soon as I try to end the task in task manager it just goes right back using 30% of the CPU. 

Message 13 of 29

What worked for me (but it's a temporary solution) is to go to the tab 'details' in the task manager, and there you shut down one of the chromium host executables (name = acwebbrowser.exe)
It immediately lowers the percentage of your CPU so the cooling and the noise stops , but every time you shut down your computer and restart it (not in if you put it in sleep mode), it pops back up.
It's not the best solution, but for now it will work. If you want to deal with it for good, you have to make a ne account or something, but i haven't tried that yet myself.

Knipsel.PNG

Message 14 of 29

I just updated AutoCAD 2016 and that seemed to get rid of it for now. 

Message 15 of 29

Hi Mattieudepauw,

I got exactly the same problem.

When I don't do anything on my computer, the chromium takes almost 25% of my processor. I am a student as well. I have tried your temporary solution, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. The chromium immidetaly pops up to 25% again. Do you might have another solution?

Are you Dutch?

Kind regards,

Thijs

Message 16 of 29
nguyenthucbk

Hi guy.

Could you tell us how to switch to Local help.

I logged on to A360 and it looks exactly like windows explorer.

Thank you

Message 17 of 29
john.vellek
in reply to: nguyenthucbk

Hi @nguyenthucbk,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Here is an article that should help you download and utilize Offline Help.  Please let me know if you have problems with the process and if you need additional help.

The process is fairly simple. You first will need to download the help files and then in Options you disable the online help access. Then your AutoCAD should look at the local files.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 29
nguyenthucbk

Thank you @john.vellek very much.

I have never noticed this option until trying Cad2018 because  my old version 2008 and 2016 had great performance.

The feeling about cad2018 is same as trying Cad2013 with format compatibility and lagging matter.

Hoping a better version next year.

(Y)

Message 19 of 29
john.vellek
in reply to: nguyenthucbk

Hi @nguyenthucbk,

I am checking back to see if disabling online help made any difference in performance. Please let me know the status of this issue and If I can provide additional resources.

John Vellek

Message 20 of 29
edwardorde

Same problem, this service is using up 100% of my CPU in the background with no AutoCAD running, its eating my battery and making my laptop overheat. AutoCAD 2018 student. I've had to disable the entire process, block auto start up of the process tree and I'm about ready to add it to my antivirus if you guys don't have a fix because it literally ruins my laptop, makes it unusable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost