Did you mean: 

Cannot Import Parasolid File

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3565 Views, 13 Replies

Cannot Import Parasolid File

I am trying to import a parasolid file from NX 9 into AutoCad 2014. I used to do this all the time at a previous job, but now it is failing. The error message that pops up reads:

"The specified file is invalid or unsupported"

I am simply using the File >> Import function.

Thanks for any help.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

What file format are you exporting from Parasolid? Can you attach the exported file here to let me try it too?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi @john.vellek, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the fast reply.

I am using Siemens NX 9 to export geometry in parasolid format (.x_t) and trying to import into AutoCad. I am unable to attach this file as I get an error from this website saying .x_t is not a valid extension for an attachment.

Thank you

Message 4 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> an error from this website saying .x_t is not a valid extension for an attachment.

You can ZIP that file and upload the ZIP-file.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA - Thanks for the tip

Zip file attached. The geometry in the zip file is a simple cylinder as I am unable to send the original geometry due to proprietary reasons. The method of exporting to parasolid and the received error in AutoCad 2014 are consistent with the original geometry.

Message 6 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I can reproduce with AutoCAD 2014 and the failure to import it.

Starting with AutoCAD 2015 the import works well, so I guess that your Parasolid file is a revision too high for AutoCAD 2014.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 14

Hi @Alfred.NESWADBA,

I agree with your findings. Perhaps the OP needs to grab a Trial of 2017 and give it a go. Or, use an older format of Parasolid.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

@Alfred.NESWADBA - Thanks for the tip

Zip file attached. The geometry in the zip file is a simple cylinder as I am unable to send the original geometry due to proprietary reasons. The method of exporting to parasolid and the received error in AutoCad 2014 are consistent with the original geometry.

It works in ACAD 2017.  I'm sure that if you uploaded your final file, someone would import to dwg for you.

Message 9 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

If you want to send me your file privately I can return it back to you in AutoCAD format.

john.vellek@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you all for the assistance.

@john.vellek - Your offer to translate the file is much appreciated, but this is a task that I will be performing quite regularly, so I will try some of the aforementioned permanent solutions.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hi John

Please see attached.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

>> an error from this website saying .x_t is not a valid extension for an attachment.

Message 13 of 14
pendean

ZIP the file, then post the zip file.
Message 14 of 14
jcarr12

Not sure if you ever solved this but I had a similar issue with a different program. The solution I found was to rename the file to have the extension example.xmt_txt and to edit the lines of KEY=... and FILE=... to KEY=example; and FILE=example.xmt_txt;

that let me import parasoled files with no issues, hope it helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report