Did you mean:Ā 

Cannot explode an AutoCAD block!

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
jsiegel-vanderweil
24232 Views, 21 Replies

Cannot explode an AutoCAD block!

I came across an AutoCAD block that I could not EXPLODE or BURST.

It was not an XREF, nor was it on a locked layer... thoughts?

Thanks...

AutoCAD user since 1988...
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Open it in the Block Editor [BEDIT command], and in the Properties palette, change the "Allow exploding" value:
BlkExpl.PNG

But also, consider whether there may have been a good reason for the Block to have been defined to not  allow exploding [that's an option  in the BLOCK dialog box when you create a Block definition].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 22

Thanks, that worked...

AutoCAD user since 1988...
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I don't see the Properties palette when I use BEDIT.

Message 5 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see the Properties palette when I use BEDIT.

Welcome to these Forums!

It doesn't come up automatically.  You can type PROPERTIES to get it showing before  you call up BEDIT.  [Or you can just have Properties up all the time  as I do, because it's so useful for so many things, tucked over to one side and squeezed kind of narrow to not take up too much screen acreage.]  Or inside BEDITing, you can pick any piece of the Block, right-click, pick PROPERTIES from near the bottom of the list that comes up, which will bring up the Properties palette showing those of the selected object, then hit ESCape to unselect that object, and you'll have the general Properties including that Block part in my earlier image.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

Thanks, that worked.

Message 7 of 22
john.x.nolan

This was a very helpful piece of information.

Thankyou

Message 8 of 22
gak19043

I'm in Block Editor and no where do I see where you can specify "allow exploding". I only see that when I'm CREATING a block. Where is it when I'm trying to explode a block someone else created a while ago and is no longer working here?

Message 9 of 22
gak19043

No that doesn't work. I'm in block editor and I can pick any part of the block and hit PROPERTIES. SO what? My block is composed of two 3d solids why would I want to explode those? I just want to explode the block so it becomes just a collection of those 3d solids, like any normal explode would do.

Message 10 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: gak19043

@gak19043 wrote:

I'm in Block Editor and no where do I see where you can specify "allow exploding". I only see that when I'm CREATING a block. Where is it when I'm trying to explode a block ...?

Repeating Message 2, in the Properties Palette when in the BEDIT Block Editor [see Message 5], without any of the objects selected:

Kent1Cooper_0-1638222755989.png

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 22

Yes I see your highlight in yellow BUT I do not get that properties pallete as you are showing it aywhere. See my png file 

Message 12 of 22

First I select the block in question. Then I go to block editor. It then does not show the drop down that you are in with that highlighting.

Message 13 of 22
cadffm

Go to Bedit and look into the properties panel, nothing else (means, DO NOT SELECT anything, so you can see the properties of your block)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@gak19043 wrote:

No that doesn't work. ....

What is "that" referring to?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@gak19043 wrote:

Yes I see your highlight in yellow BUT I do not get that properties pallete as you are showing it aywhere. .... 

[I edited Message 10 to remind you to see Message 5.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 16 of 22
gak19043
in reply to: cadffm

OK, according to your instructions....

1. I open my drawing that contains the block in question.

As you say, without selecting anything, I type in Bedit.
This is what comes up

[cid:image002.png@01D7E5C1.D82437A0]

I hit "OK" then this comes up

[cid:image001.png@01D7E5C1.39AF5640]
So, where is the field where I can say "allow exploding"? Typing Properties anywhere in this process (at any point in the process) does not bring up any field where I can allow exploding, that I can see.

Message 17 of 22
cadffm
in reply to: jsiegel-vanderweil

I can not see your picture (i don't know why), but

..while you INSIDE BEDIT to edit your block..

do not select anything and take a look into your properties palette!!

Open your drawing

Select a blockreference and start bedit

or ooen your file and start Bedit and select your block [ok]

THEN look to the palette

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 18 of 22
gak19043
in reply to: cadffm

It's all good now, thanks!!
Message 19 of 22
OmniCardoso

What about if I have "allow explode" and the same message shows when I try to explode?

Message 20 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: OmniCardoso

@OmniCardoso wrote:

What about if I have "allow explode" and the same message shows when I try to explode?

I don't see anyone having quoted a message that you could be seeing "the same message" as, unless you mean the Topic heading itself, which is very close to a message you could get.  One situation that can cause the "Cannot explode that block" message, even for a Block whose definition allows Exploding, is if it consists of 3D Solid(s) and you are trying to Explode an insertion of it that has unequal scale factors.  The 3D Solid part becomes impossible for it to create somehow, in case that might involve complexities it can't deal with at unequal scales, but even with simple shapes like plain rectangular prisms, it refuses to try.

If the Block contains more than just the 3D Solid(s), for me it will Explode the rest of the parts but retain the 3D Solid from it as a Block to which it gives an anonymous name such as *E7, and it leaves the message "1 was not able to be exploded."  If I then try to Explode that Block of the 3D Solid independent of the other pieces from the source Block, I then get the same message "Cannot explode that block."

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta