Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Delete Lintetypes in AutoCAD

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ngshaheen96
372 Views, 9 Replies

Cannot Delete Lintetypes in AutoCAD

So I'm working on a drawing with a ridiculous amount of unnecessary and repetitive linetypes (literally hundreds of them) but when I try to delete some of them it tells me it cannot be deleted and suggests potential reasons why that is. After going through each reason, I can confirm that none of these useless linetypes are in any use on this drawing and not even the purge tool can help, in fact, it lists all of these linetypes as non-purgeable. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be solved?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: ngshaheen96

The PURGE dialog, tab for unpurgable item,

show where to to find them.

If your Autocad is not too old.

Share your file or a part of

and we can take a look.

Last option: You can merge linetypes by STANDARDS command. 

Sebastian

Message 3 of 10
ngshaheen96

So in the "Find Non-Purgeable Items" tab, if I click on the different linetypes, it says there are usages but the drawing itself is completely empty. It references locations like "inside block *A104" or A103, A102... however there does not appear to be a file path to wherever these instances are.

Message 4 of 10
cadffm

Hi

>"but the drawing itself is completely empty"

You can not see linetypes blocks layers styles and more definitions, thats okay.

Purge dialog information refers to a block, not to a blockreference (or you didn't share this information).

So, open purge dialog again and check the called block!

And have a look to the informations about the count (sorry, I am away from acad and don't know the right wording).

Did you

Command: -PURGE

REG * no

Command: -PURGE

all * no

?

Sebastian

Message 5 of 10
RSomppi

@ngshaheen96 wrote:

So in the "Find Non-Purgeable Items" tab, if I click on the different linetypes, it says there are usages but the drawing itself is completely empty. It references locations like "inside block *A104" or A103, A102... however there does not appear to be a file path to wherever these instances are.

Those blocks are stored in the drawing file. No file path is needed to find them.

Message 6 of 10
cadffm

I guess you have linetyps from an .DGN import.

Activate your ophram option in Purge dialog!

And purge them (in your "empty" file).

Does it work?

Sebastian

Message 7 of 10
pendean

@ngshaheen96 wrote:

...but the drawing itself is completely empty...

You may not see anything, but the DWG database still contains a lot of content.

Share your DWG file here, let's see what you are working with.

Message 8 of 10
ngshaheen96
in reply to: cadffm

Ok! This appears to have purged most of the nonsense, I never knew what that button did, there still seems to be some unknown linetypes in here, but the majority are gone! Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
ngshaheen96
in reply to: pendean

I was able to purge a lot of them thanks to a previous comment but there are still other linetypes I'd like to remove, unfortunately I cannot share the file as although it is empty, it is a work related file, in fact this is my personal account, not my work email, any other advice would be appreciated though!

Message 10 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@ngshaheen96 wrote:

I was able to purge a lot of them ... but there are still other linetypes I'd like to remove, unfortunately I cannot share the file ....

That makes it pretty impossible for us to investigate.  But the PURGE dialog box will tell you what makes linetypes un-Purgeable, for example:  Is it the current-entity linetype?  Is it assigned to a Layer [even if there is nothing drawn on that Layer]?  Etc.

Kent1Cooper_0-1708632892168.png

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report