Did you mean: 

Cannot convert DGN files to DWG......

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Sahay_R
6522 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot convert DGN files to DWG......

We have received DGN files from the owner. They need to be converted to AutoCAD to be cleaned up. So far I have attempted to 

1) Import the DGNs to a DWG (both in 2016 and 2017)

2) XRef them (desperate times, you see)

3) Import them into a Revit plan view / drafting view (still more desperate times.....)

4) Link them into Revit (the height of desperation!) 

5) No, I do not have access to Microstation in any way, shape, or form

Nothing has worked. All that I have gotten are an Internal Error warning, and AutoCAD's inability to process linetypes / references from the DGN. 

Any ideas, please?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: Sahay_R

Hi @Sahay_R,

I am rebuilding my computer today and I intend on put Microstation on it.  Can you send me your DGN files so I can try getting them into REVIT via a drawing (DWG) file?  I will see if there is any problem with the files you have received and try to get this workflow started for you.

Have you tried bringing the DGN file driectly into Revit?

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Sahay_R,

Did you try bringing the DGN files directly into Revit?  I am happy to see if I can help 

Please attach a sample DGN or if it needs to be private, please email it to me at john.vellek@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 9
Sahay_R
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John!

Thank you for the offer of help - I have shot off an email to you with the rogue DGN files - 5 in all.

Thank you!

Rina

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 5 of 9
john.vellek

Hi Rina,

I was not able to open the DGN files in AutoCAD either. (I only tried two of them).

I was able to open them in MicroStation. The files appear to be V8 version files.  I was able to export them to DWG from MicroStation with no apparent errors.   I also found that if I saved them as V7 files then I was able to import them properly in AutoCAD.  I do not know enough about MicroStation to see what errors might be in the files but I do see that they are missing a font. There might be other factors that are causing the V8 DGN import failure.

I opened the DWG files and ran AUDIT, PURGE, and -PU>Regapps on them.  I also ran EXPORTTOAUTOCAD on two of the files that did not have any xrefs.  I hope this helps.  I did not try to bring the DGN or DWG files into Revit but if that proves to be a challenge let me know.

I have sent the files back to you for your input.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 9
Sahay_R
in reply to: john.vellek

BINGO! That is AWESOME!!

Thank you so much, John!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 9

Hi John,

I came across this forum post while looking for a solution to open DGN files. I'm facing the same issue where AutoCAD can't seem to import my DGN files properly. do you have an update about this 

Message 8 of 9

Hi,

he's no longer part of Autodesk or this community.

Do it yourself (trial version) or ask in bentley forums, or use one of the dgn to deg convert tools.

(Search for: convert dgn to dwg)

Sebastian

Message 9 of 9

But the first step should be: Ask the creator for .dwg files.

Sebastian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report