Did you mean: 

Can't figure out Annotation Scale

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
651 Views, 12 Replies

Can't figure out Annotation Scale

Hello,

I'm trying to make a simple 2" x 6" rectangle but everytime I do it's not the right size. Like it says it's 2" x 6" but it's huge. I already have a large 250' x 446' rectangle and this small 2" x 6" is somehow triple its size. I've tried going through and choosing different scale settings but I honestly can't figure it out. Please help. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I'm trying to make a simple 2" x 6" rectangle

What are you doing exactly, step by step what does AutoCAD ask and what do you enter.

Also important to know: is your setting for dynamic input (<F12>) on or off? ...as this could result in relative instead of absolute coordinates.

And when the rectangle is done, how did you verify it's size, which command did you use?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
mehrdad.rahimi.en65

Step-by-step explanation of drawing a rectangle with a specified length and width:
1: set Dynamics input on
2: set unit in inches
Now you can enter exactly the phrase (2 , 6) after activating the rectangle tool and clicking on the page to specify the starting point of the drawing.
If Dynamic Input is off you should use (@) before entering the value.

If this is helpful to you, please press the Accept solution button.

MeHrDaD RaHiMi
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Revit Architecture Certified Professional
Revit Structure Certified Professional
Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.
Message 4 of 13
RobDraw

This has nothing to with annotation scale as your subject suggests.

If the measurements are 2"x6" on your rectangle, it is drawn correct.

It seems as though you are having another issue. Post your drawing and describe what you are really trying to do.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 13
dieters
in reply to: RobDraw

Hi Selena,

Thanks for posting your question. The replies you received so far contain good suggestions and I also suspect that you might have a misunderstanding somewhere that we can help you with. For example,  if you create a layout viewport on a layout tab, it's very possible that the *viewport* scale is not what you want and needs to be set. This is just a guess and posting your drawing will help the folks here.

You might also want to consider stepping through The Hitchhiker's Guide to AutoCAD, which is accessible from the Help homepage (press F1). See the image attached below.

Best wishes,

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Another possibility not suggested yet (unless I missed it), is that you may be in a layout, and your "large" rectangle is in Model Space, looking "small" when seen through a viewport (due to viewport scale), and your "small" rectangle is drawn in Paper Space, thus looking "huge" when seen actual size compared to the scaled viewport.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 13
dieters

Hi Daniel,

Yes. What you described was my assumption as well, but I've learned to be cautious about assumptions. 🙂

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 8 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: dieters

Hi,

>> but I've learned to be cautious about assumptions

That's why I first ask for details before making any suggestions...

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dieters

I "tossed it out there" as that is something I have done on occasion, intended to do or add something in model space through a p-space viewport, get wildly unexpected results, and discover I was in paper space, or vice versa (I call those episodes "senior moments")

Message 10 of 13
s.borello

Perhaps some tutorial videos will help... see link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autocad+annotative+scale+explained

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: s.borello

I figured it out - than you for the help!!

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

could you post the fix here? I would be interested in what the issue was and how you 'fixed' it.

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

I would also like to know what the fix was....could be helpful in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report