Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Editor Crashing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2279 Views, 12 Replies

Block Editor Crashing

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into an issue with the block editor in AutoCAD 2016? A few of us in the office have had some trouble with the block editor. When I enter the command, I can work normally, but if I click anywhere outside of AutoCAD, say to check another file to see how to customize said block, my AutoCAD completely freezes up. I can't close, I can't reset, I am forced to execute a hard reset of the software, through my computer's task manager. Another employee has this happen to him whenever he attempts to open the Visibility settings.

Anyone else having issues anything like this? Have you found a fix?

Thanks,

Jared

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes it is very anoying. When I edit an exisitng dynamic block in my drawings, many times Autocad (2016 64 bit on Windows 10 Pro) crashes at the clising of the editor. Happens a lot. It's not specific to a block or a drawing, it just happens, almost every day several times.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

I'm not even finding that it has anything to do with closing the block. I did find a number of threads/conversations online about the troubles with it freezing while trying to close the editor. It's a very impractical issue. Please post here should you find a solution to your problem.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

I guess my problem is a little different, but might be related. I don't get freezing, I get a fatal error and then ACAD closes. When it opens again it works fine for some time but it does it again either in the same drawing or a different drawing.

It did send a report to Autodesk many times already, I added my description to the problem, I hope they do something about it.

I will post here if anything comes up. Good luck.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

it happend in every file,
some time it happend when the file size is very huge
use exporttautocad command decreas your dwg size than try
i think it will work
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

What should I be Exporting to AutoCAD? If this happens in any block, in any file, and all of our files are created in AutoCAD, or eported to AutoCAD for our use, do I need to export every file that we work on?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

will you upload the file in which you facing the problem
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

shavezkhan,

We are not having this problem with any specific files/projects. It happens every time we attempt a set function. If I open block editor, and try to pull up another file to reference what I need to change, it locks up. When a co-worker attempts to enter visibility states, it locks up. It doesn't matter which file we're in, it appears to be an AutoCAD-related issue.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

My problem is similar to yours.  Althought sometimes it freezes up before I have to close out in Task Manager, but most of the time it Fatal Errors.  I hope that they can find a patch and a fix to this big problem.  I found when it did it the most to me was when I had my OS set and it would pick on an object, that was an automatic fatal error for me.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I have to remember to save before I plan to use the REFEDIT function as 50% of the time it will crash out with a fatal error, no matter what drawing or block I am editing.

The only correlation I can find is that it's mainly with the REFEDIT function, sometimes with the BEDIT function and is more frequent when working on larger drawings.

When it crashes I get the message

AUTOCAD 2016 INTERNAL ERROR !dbobji.cpp@8672.jpg

I am then given the option to save a recover file, this is fine except when I open the recover file it will have always exploded the block I was working on when the crash occurred, which is not fine.

Please help, this is seriously slowing down productivity.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

I am having a very similar problem, sorry I cannot be of help. But I just lost about 4 hours worth of work done in the block editor, of a fairly complex block that I have been working on. I saved the definition several times while in the block editor, I never exited the BE to save the drawing, and it froze up and I had no choice but to do an end task through task manager. I am using AutoCAD Mechanical 2016. I'm hoping that someone out there has some advice on how to recover my lost block. When the drawing recovery came up, it only had options to open the drawing that i saved 4 hours prior to the crash. I have my auto save set to 5 mins. And as I said earlier, I saved the definition several times in the editor itself, but never inside the actual drawing area. I would really like the developers of AutoCAD to QUIT putting unnecessary "new" features into the program and perfect the ones already available. I feel that I am the only one on the planet that despises the stupid ribbon! lol. Anyway, ANY help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

A number of us in the office have been having the same issue with the block editor either crashing (fatal error or just forced quit) or it takes 5 minutes and sometimes 30-45 minutes to close out.  Have had the same problem with some of the more "involved" dynamic block features such as "Visibility State" and "Property Lookup". These events occur in one drawing one day and not another, and a different drawing a different day.  No patterns I've see, nor any constancy with this issue.

We are running AutoCAD 2018, Win10, 64 bit.

Though,I have had the same problems with AutoCAD 2016 & 2017 both Win 8 and Win 10.

Only solution I have found is QSave.  Save often, right before you open a block editor, after, and every moment you can.

Message 13 of 13
mirai_syasin

My problem is similar to yours.  I found out. In my case it happens with array copying When using parameter set.

But It does not happen if parameters and actions are used separately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report