Did you mean: 

Automatically update all fields in layouts title block

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
alcohen
5164 Views, 9 Replies

Automatically update all fields in layouts title block

I build trade show booths for a living.  After I create the booth in Model space, I start with my first standard layout page.  In the title block I have info such as Project name, project number, booth number, show dates and other information that will vary from year to year.  Most times the booth will stay nearly identical and the only thing that changes are the above mentions fields.

Is there a way to update a single page with the info and have the rest of the layouts update?

Perhaps I have to create a new layout from scratch that has this ability?

Thanks in advance,

Al Cohen

Capture.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: alcohen

Make the title block an XREF. It's not a live connection but the information will be updated every time the file is opened or, if it is open when the changes are made, the XREF needs to be reloaded for the changes to be seen in the referencing drawing.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

besides of the XRef suggestion, if you only want to have updated all title-block information''s of all layouts in just one dwg-file then the solution could be to

• copy the dwg-file from the prev. year
  • do your modifications in the modelspace
  • use blockeditor to edit the title-block and for all values you want to change in all layouts of this dwg-file don't use attributes, use text objects instead (or change these attributes to be "constant")

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I would recommend creating a drawing template with custom properties.  The custom properties can be incorporated as attributes of the Titleblock which will then report whatever the custom properties have been modified to reflect.

Each drawing has different custom property values which updates each use of the titleblock in the drawing file (every layout)

Refer to the attached pic for the custom property setup and use.

Message 5 of 10
alcohen
in reply to: Anonymous

Didn't see an attached picture

Message 6 of 10
alcohen

I'm pretty sure I understand what this will do.  I won't be updating the info on my layout sheets, I will be opening the drawing Properties box and updating the info there.  Then it will populate all the fields where the blocks have been placed on the layout sheet.  Is that correct?

Now I just have to learn how to create the custom blocks.  I'm really good at creating the projects in 3D, not so good at the rest.  

Thanks I think this is a good start

Message 7 of 10
alcohen

I have tried repeatedly to follow your work flow without success.  Is there any other way to explain it?  Or am I simply missing the point?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Al,

Please send me your email address - I can start an on-line meeting and
walk you through the process if that works for you.

Bob

Message 9 of 10
maratovich

No problems.

All this can be done.

Give us an example of your dwg file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 10 of 10
alcohen

I will review the video you sent and let you know how it goes.  Hopefully we don't need a Skype.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report