Did you mean: 

Automatically Generate Panel Sizes For Pre Fabricated Buildings / Structures

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nasim.elyadaran
259 Views, 2 Replies

Automatically Generate Panel Sizes For Pre Fabricated Buildings / Structures

Hi,

I build small rooms/buildings from sheet metal such as bike storage sheds, garden sheds, small workshops / garages etc. The construction is basically mild steel folded sheet metal trays that bolt together from the inside.

Currently I am producing a drawing with a very basic plan view, front, back & side elevations with just height, width, depth door & window dimensions/locations etc. Once a job goes into production I then have to work out how many folded sheet metal trays ill need and what size they are, then I have to draw all of the fixing holes and make sure they are lining up with the adjoining panels, Because each building is a one off and a different size I have to go through this process for every job/quote and its time consuming.

Is there a way to auto calculate / generate all of these individual panel drawings / sizes If I were to just input the overall dimensions of the room?

I've seen it done with wooden sheds and structural steel work but I just haven't got a clue where to start.

The panels bolt together similar to this : 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

To pass serial products, you need any parametric CAD. Including today there are 3D parametry programs based on DWG and the usual set of commands. AutoCAD program of direct (quick) modeling, without parameters and what you want you will not achieve.
If you just need to quickly cut out many holes in solids for fasteners, then plugins will help you: AVC Fixture - arranging fasteners at the joints of the details. AVC Drill - drilling all holes of 1 click.

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
AppStore | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Blog
Message 3 of 3

You should provide more detailed information such as:

Hole patterns that need to be followed across panel ends as well as panel vertical seams.

Minimum / maximum panel sizes for standard panels.

Incremental limitations for panels - widths and heights.

Connecting brackets/components at base and roof of panels.

How are doors and windows located vs. panel sizes - including header and sill panels.

Dynamic blocks might be useful to assemble wall and roof panels, doors, windows, and connecting members at floor, roof and corners.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report