Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Application Manager transition.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1359 Views, 7 Replies

Autodesk Application Manager transition.

About a month ago now, my update process for AutoCAD 2016 was interrupted and I'm not certain my system has been properly transitioned to the new updating process/application. Autodesk Application Manager [AAM] is still showing on my system but when attempting to open the app the following message is displayed: "Unable to run Application Manager. It appears Autodesk Application Manager Service is not Available. Please close all other instances and retry." Is there a way to be certain that my software has been fully transitioned to whatever the new process/application is for maintaining the software updates? Is there a way to remove the remnants of the the old AAM to avoid confusion? Any help would be greatly appreciated and a load off my mind. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi preferred_customer, Welcome to the Forums!

This must be a frustrating issue for you. I suggest we do a reinstall of the application manager to see if that remedies the problem of failing upon starting it up.

Here are the steps I recommend:

To reinstall Autodesk Application Manager (AAM) follow steps below.

1. Verify that AAM is not running, check the system tray, if you see AAM running, right click on it and Exit
Note: Open windows task manger and if you see AdAppMgr.exe*32 and AdAppMgrSvc.exe*32 running under Processes, please End Process for both
2. Uninstall AAM from Control Panel
3. In Windows Explorer address bar type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Autodesk and hit Enter key
4. Rename .AdskAppManager folder
5. In Windows Explorer address bar type %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Autodesk Application Manager\ and hit Enter key
6. Double click on AdApplicationManager-installer.exe to install AAM
7. Once AAM is installed you may need to update it to the latest version.

Please post your results so others can benefit and so I can further assist you if necessaray.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Firstly, thank you for your reply and offered solution. Before I delete and reinstall, I noticed that in my Control Panel list of Autodesk programs there are two listed application managers: "Autodesk App Manager 2016" and "Autodesk Application Manager" (Please see attached file for screenshot of list.) Should I continue with the delete and reinstall of AAM only or is there something that should be done with AAM 2016 as well?
Message 5 of 8
pendean

If you want the opinion of a fellow user and CAD manager instead of the corporate line...

Close AutoCAD. Start Windows TASK MANAGER, Processes tab, and turn of Autodesk Desktop App and Autodesk Application Manager.
Start Windows Control Panel, Programs, then uninstall both applications.

Restart Windows. Now skip reinstalling anything with either of those names, start your favorite webbrowser and bookmark this webpage https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads?release=2016 and check it if you start having a problem in AutoCAd and need a patch or update to install.

You are running AutoCAD 2016: there are likely to never ever be any new updates for it anytime soon so you don't need bloatware to watch a folder you're likely never to use.

Message 6 of 8
john.vellek

Hi preferred_customer,

I suggest that you start with just the one at first. If that does not work we can start the process again and do both.

As the Corporate voice 🙂 I actually like the tool and feel that it has gotten much better at what it is designed to do. However, per Dean's suggestion, many users remove it and live happily ever after.

John Vellek

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks ever so much for the reply. That webpage is absolute gold! Thanks again. Have a great day.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Went through steps 1-5 successfully. Did not find "AdApplicationManager-installer.exe" at that address listed in step 5. I did hunt down the installer.exe during some previous detective work on another forum discussion and had it in my system's downloads folder. Installed and updated. All is right with the world again, for the time being anyway. 😉 Thanks again for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it. Have a great day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report