Did you mean: 

Autocad Selection

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
651 Views, 16 Replies

Autocad Selection

Hi

How can you keep a selection active when navigating between different files?

Thanks

Regards

ME

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

by definition if you are no longer in the file it is no longer active, what are you trying to achive?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

What I mean is to have my selection still on, When navigating to another AutoCAD file, If somthisg is missing i can just add it to the selection not to do it all over again.

Thanks

ME

Message 4 of 17
cadffm

That feature is going in the past. I cry for this if i need to change my work Version to a newer one.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
TheCADnoob

Assuming i understand what you are needing,

I use GROUP to do this. I select everything i think im going to need. Once i go back to that drawing i just select one thing in that group and it selects the entire group. You can add and remove from there. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
pendean

Once you leave the program or file window, selection is lost. That's by design.
Is there a reason the sub-selection option of PREVIOUS is not being considered? Works fine here for all of us when we do what you do.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

It is one solution but not exactly what I am asking for, as  I remember in old versions, The selection can be kept as it is unless you press "Escape Button".

Many Thanks to you.

Message 8 of 17
TheCADnoob

@pendean suggestion is probably a cleaner route than using group when considering your previous workflow.

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
cadffm

Momadarch schrieb:

It is one solution but not exactly what I am asking for, as  I remember in old versions, The selection can be kept as it is unless you press "Escape Button".

Many Thanks to you.

cadffm schrieb:
That feature is going in the past. I cry for this if i need to change my work Version to a newer one.

The new technologie what not allowd the old feature came with Version 2015(?)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
steven-g
in reply to: cadffm

And do you remember, discovering that you had accidently moved or deleted something important in another drawing, sometimes hours/days later. I know which problem I'd rather face

Message 11 of 17
cadffm
in reply to: steven-g

No. Never.

And i wished the SELECTIONOFFSCREEN function since my first week with Autocad.

SelectionOffScreen=0 It´s  illogical and i am thinking that "accidently selection" is 99% by SelectionOffScreen=0

accidently = accidently lost the wanted objects by window selection&pan

In one company i know, PICKADD is hard set to 0, because the CAD-Manager have fear the CADworker copy- or delete objects they would not like.

I am working with osmode=6327, but some gross motor peaple can´t work with that. They dont know how the snap is working.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
Kent1Cooper

How  are you navigating between files?

I'm at my ol' Acad2004 location right now, and it doesn't have  the row of "tabs" for the drawings I have open, as newer versions do.  But if I change between drawings with either  the list in the "Window" pull-down on the File/Edit/etc. menu bar at the top, or  using the Ctrl+Tab-key combination, selection is  preserved in any drawings I have something like that going in, for both  no-command-active pre-selection and editing-command Select-objects:-prompt selection.

I don't recall that Window pull-down being there in the Ribbon-based arrangement, but I do  know that Ctrl+Tab still moves around between open drawings -- try that instead of picking the on-screen tabs, and see whether that still preserves mid-command selection in newer versions.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 17
cadffm
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

It does not matter how you change,
* Ctrl+Tab (include 'Start' as normal DrawingTab, invented by anyone who works with more like a document)
* showtabs
* Click to file window
* or by window-menu
* and any kind of switching by API

Since Microsoft Fiber removed in 2015

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm new to AutoCAD and I worked for more than a decade with another CAD application in an architect's office. There are tons of options and tools that I am missing here in AutoCAD and it is quite annoying. Especially when I'm missing some of the most basic functions and settings a modern CAD nowadays should have. At least from my perspective and past experiences.

Long story short, I have the same problem as you and I wish I could keep my objects selected for the next couple tasks until I press "Esc" or unselect manually.

Did you figured out how to keep the objects selected?

Many regards and I'm looking forward to hearing from you

I'm using: Q.104.0.0 AutoCAD LT 2020.1.2

Message 15 of 17
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I could keep my objects selected for the next couple tasks until I press "Esc" or unselect manually.

Did you figured out how to keep the objects selected?

AutoCAD no longer works that way.

@Anonymous wrote:

There are tons of options and tools that I am missing here in AutoCAD and it is quite annoying.

Maybe if you ask questions here, you can find the "options" that you are looking for. AutoCAD is very capable of a lot of things just maybe not in the way that other programs do them.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 16 of 17
pendean

LT is a limited feature variant of AutoCAD (you are posting in the wrong forum too): what is the software you used to use?
And I am not quite familiar with your wish/desire, can you elaborate a bit more?

OR... ask your employer for a software upgrade perhaps? If they don;t want to spend the time/effort/money getting you training etc.
Message 17 of 17
s.borello

You can't... AutoCAd doesn't work that way now. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report