Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD PRECISION

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1058 Views, 4 Replies

AUTOCAD PRECISION

What does AutoCAD architectural precision mean?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Meaning it can use to 1/256" accuracy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Okay.. Thank you
Message 4 of 5
clindner

@Anonymous 

One word of caution re all units precision settings:

AutoCAD's precision setting essentially dictates how AutoCAD "reports" dimensional values back to the user. It does not "constrain" AutoCAD to only work to that precision. So, even if a drawing is set 256ths precision, the user can still draw (or enter values) that are not in increments of 256th of an inch. Yet, AutoCAD will report all measurements (via the DIST command, Dynamic Input, etc.) to the nearest 256th of an inch. So, setting the precision setting is essentially "rounding" the values it reports. 

Typically this is not an issue, but there have been times when dimensions didn't seem to be adding up correctly. I would change my units to Decimal units (and a precision of 8 decimal places) in order to cross check an architectural dimension.

I see a tendency for architectural users to reason that, since they would never build to that precision, they are best served to set it to a "more reasonable" precision, like 1/8th inch. The downside to this is that any dimension smaller than an 1/8th (whether intentional or accidental) gets (mis)reported in an 1/8th increment. I have always strongly encouraged  users to set their precision to 256th precision. This way, any distances that are slightly "off" will not be rounded to an 1/8 and thus hiding the user from issues that may come to haunt them later. My motto has always been "It's only a problem if there is a problem". 

Hope that helps you better understand AutoCAD's precision.

Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Chris Lindner
CAD Technology Consultant @ onebuttoncad.com
AUGI Board of Directors

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you, I really appreciate this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report