Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Polyline Area to Table

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
kieran.leadbetter
2035 Views, 16 Replies

AutoCAD Polyline Area to Table

Ideally I am just wanting a lisp or plugin which would allow me to annotate rooms similar to how Revit does it, I would select the area within an enclosed Polyline Boundary, and then a room name, area and room code would be created and assigned to that room

Does anyone know of a lisp or plugin which would allow this

I have attempted Lee Macs Area to Table lisp but I can't get it to function smoothly enough to use on my drawings

Thank you

Labels (5)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

You can try to use the standard Data Extraction command. And you can set polyline names using the AVC Properties Palette. For example such imanas as Room 1, Room 2... And then fill in the Data Table in two columns Name and Area. Is it good enough?

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
AppStore | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Blog
Message 3 of 17

I will try that out, data extraction is a new thing to me

I'll get back to you on if I can get it to work, thank you
Message 4 of 17

By the way, you can also save the room code in the polyline properties - there are additional fields Kind and Info.

In addition, you can not only fill in tables with this data, but also mark rooms using Smart Leaders or Mark command.
There is also an option to pack each room into a block. You can add any number of any attributes to blocks. You can extract attribute values using standard tools without plugins. But blocks are harder to edit.

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
Message 5 of 17

So this won't work, I need to annotate all the rooms in the project and theres hundreds, I need a fast way to annotate the drawing itself, and insert the room names and automatically calculate the area similar to how Revit does it, while also creating a data table with that information
Message 6 of 17

The smart leaders look useful, but I can't buy any external packages, I have the full autocad license so it would have to be either a tool built in or a free external plugin/lisp which can be used for commercial use
Message 7 of 17

Autocad without plugins is useless. AutoCAD is just a base for development. If you have money for AutoCAD, then you can definitely pay for a plugin for a couple of dollars a month, this is not a problem.
And if Revit is more suitable for your tasks, then I see no reason to switch to bare AutoCAD.
As for the quick naming of all rooms - there is such a program AvcNum. You can set up which objects to discard and how to sort the rest before numbering. And you can also choose the order of room numbers using the Manual Numbering command.

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
Message 8 of 17

Sorry but it would have to be a free extension, I can not purchase anything from AVC to complete this so please don't link me to another paid subscription website.

Once again it would need to be a free to use, commercial use, lisp/plugin or built in function of AutoCAD.
Message 9 of 17
Patchy
in reply to: kieran.leadbetter

This is as free as you can get:

http://www.lee-mac.com/arealabel.html

Message 10 of 17
pendean

Greetings @kieran.leadbetter

Since you opted to use the statement "... similar to how Revit does it..." it begs the question why are you using plain stripped down general drafting made-for-no-one-special AutoCAD when the variant AutoCAD ARCHITECTURE has all that you ask for and is about as close to you other software's experience as it gets? There is a learning curve but hey, you're the one that is no longer using REVIT.

AutoCADARCH is free to install and use for anyone on an active subscription license of AutoCAD too.

Liberate yourself with the correct software my friend. Good luck.
Message 11 of 17
kieran.leadbetter
in reply to: pendean

I actually want to use AutoCAD Architecture, I saw that it has a lot of functions which would be perfect for what I am needing

But the company I am working for is working more with just normal AutoCAD and hasn't used multiple programs across the company to allow for ease of use for everyone involved including clients.

I used it before and it done the area things required but I couldn't transfer the information across to AutoCAD smoothly, doing so would require 2 programs to alter 1 set of drawings

Any advice on how to use both programs with no cross-program issues? If that makes sense?
Message 12 of 17
pendean

@kieran.leadbetter wrote:
I used it before and it done the area things required but I couldn't transfer the information across to AutoCAD smoothly, doing so would require 2 programs to alter 1 set of drawings

May I ask why the need to use "two separate programs" ? plain useless-for-architecture AutoCAD is still right there in the ARCH variant, it never disappears or goes away, you just need to create and use two workspaces in the one ARCH variant if you cannot just remember the core plain AutoCAD commands and need those buttons to click on instead. 

ARCH seems to do literally everything you need. It also has a dedicated support forum for it's dedicated AEC tools right here if you wish to make specific inquiries about using those tools https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-architecture-forum/bd-p/248 

HTH

Message 13 of 17
kieran.leadbetter
in reply to: Patchy

Been attempting it for weeks and I could never get it to work, just attempted again and it works

I think it struggles with really large rooms past 150m2 as thats an abnormal room and just empty space I can work around it just now

Have you had this issue aswell?
Message 14 of 17
Patchy

No trouble at all, check to see if your polyline is closed.

Message 15 of 17
kieran.leadbetter
in reply to: pendean

Okay I completely get what you mean, I will bring this up with my boss at somepoint

Does seem like a large area to improve productivity

Thank you
Message 16 of 17
pendean

@kieran.leadbetter wrote:
Does seem like a large area to improve productivity

It is indeed: as with everything there is a learning curve, but the automation built into the ARCH-variant for the ARCH industry if phenomenally helpful to the bottom line (aka $$$$) for all AEC businesses.

Message 17 of 17
kieran.leadbetter
in reply to: Patchy

It looks closed, even tried pedit and then Join, it says can't join an already closed polyline

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta