Autocad on Remote desktop

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Anonymous
35378 Views, 35 Replies

Autocad on Remote desktop

Hello, 

Our office is using cad 1018 on remote desktop. I'm facing with cad being extremely slow. The cursor on screen is much slower than in normal cad scenario.  The pointer has a lag and is jerky. its not at all smooth. 

I've run all the commands to make it efficient as in the following link.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Improv...

. All visuals are disabled from scree. hardware acceleration is on. 

File is 2mb or so, with few images in it. 

The file without images is slow too but the one with images is extremely slow. 

Kindly help 

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
markcalloway
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Is it Microsoft Remote Desktop that you are using or another application?

It is likely going to be an issue/limitation with the remote software rather than AutoCAD.

Also if you have an active subscription don't forget about Home Use Rights which allows you to install a 2nd copy of AutoCAD on a laptop or at home for when you don't have access to your office computer:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/home-use/subscription-home-use

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find this post helpful, please LIKE.
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Follow me on Twitter / Follow me on Linkedin / Blog
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: markcalloway

@markcalloway  Its a remote desktop app i believe. We have limited licence at work and there for all employees  are suppose to CAD via remote desktop. 

@markcallowaywrote:

Hi @Anonymous

Is it Microsoft Remote Desktop that you are using or another application?

It is likely going to be an issue/limitation with the remote software rather than AutoCAD.

Also if you have an active subscription don't forget about Home Use Rights which allows you to install a 2nd copy of AutoCAD on a laptop or at home for when you don't have access to your office computer:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/home-use/subscription-home-use

Message 4 of 36
markcalloway

Hi @Anonymous

Yeh Microsoft Remote Desktop app is very laggy, this will be your issue especially if AutoCAD is fine when your sat at the computer.

All I can suggest is you look at an alternative remote access app if this is how you want to use AutoCAD offsite.

For instance I use Team Viewer and AutoCAD comes through fine but you will need to buy a license.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find this post helpful, please LIKE.
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Follow me on Twitter / Follow me on Linkedin / Blog
Message 5 of 36
sascari
in reply to: markcalloway

This response is a little unsatisfactory as the issue only applies to AutoCAD. Other programs run just fine. A better explanation is needed besides MS RDP being a bad program.

Message 6 of 36
pendean
in reply to: sascari

AutoCAD is not like other programs, it requires constant connection for files locations and drops dozens of temp files everywhere. If you need to use RDP consider another program, or use ot to simply check-out DWG files to work on locally then re-up-load when done. You and your team will need to be very communicative to avoid overwriting each others work.

Most of us use VPN as a better solution for live connections with AutoCAD: others move to cloud services like DropBox and OneDrive as another solution.

HTH
Message 7 of 36
RobDraw

@sascari wrote:

This response is a little unsatisfactory as the issue only applies to AutoCAD. 

That was the point as this thread is about using AutoCAD on RDT and AutoCAD is laggy on it while other programs are not.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous

I am having the same issue using remote desktop with AutoCAD 2019. It lags, the cursor moves in slow motion which is frustrating to work with.

Every other program, including Revit 2019 and SketchUp Pro 2018 work normally, it is only AutoCAD that seems to have an issue for some reason.

Message 9 of 36
RobDraw

Is it fine on the ribbon and laggy in the drawing area?

Rob

Message 10 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Yes, that's correct.

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous

I’ve used AutoCAD over RDP for years and it’s always been frustratingly slower than other applications, including REVIT. Normally I’ll download DWG to my local machine work on it locally and upload at the end because this works out a faster way to do anything more than 20 actions. 
Panning the drawing view in model or paper space or moving the cursor  is terrible. I can’t offer a resolution but my guess is the way AutoCAD interacts with the display driver means it’s talking to your home laptop graphics card across the RDP connection

Anyway I found this which may be relevant and useful

http://www.thecadmasters.com/2013/01/03/autocad-revit-and-microsoft-remote-desktop-protocol-rdp-8-0/

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Message 13 of 36
rclark

I'm also running RDC - far be it from me to defend anything MS, but has the OP run a connection test to check for latency? Normally my home connection is anywhere between 8ms to 20ms, but now 'everyone' is working from home and bandwidth is being used up I've seen my latency degrade to 40ms+. This means the pointer becomes very sluggish, like you're dragging it through treacle.

If they have means to run the software locally (which I don't) that would by far be the most efficient method.

Message 14 of 36
LyleHardin
in reply to: rclark

Same for me. Looking for some kind of AutoCAD setting that may help. I guess there's not one. I've even tried changing background to white, making the cursor 1% screen size, etc. AutoCAD must do graphics differently than Revit and other software. Revit works fine. AutoCAD is irratably slow.

Message 15 of 36
trunyan
in reply to: LyleHardin

set cursortype to 1. That helped me pan and move much much easier

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: trunyan

Setting the CURSORTYPE = 1  is much better.  At least now I can work at close to normal speed.  Seeing a mouse pointer instead of a cursor is a little odd but it works and the lag is almost completely gone.  Using Remote Desktop for the past month has been pretty close to on-site normal except for the AutoCad cursor.  Even the ribbon and command area's where the cursor changed to a pointer were normal.  But once you move into the cursor window it's like playing pin the tail on the donkey with a fishing rod and a five pound weight on the tip.  WAKE UP AUTOCAD CORPORATE THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WORKING FROM HOME THESE DAYS USING REMOTE DESKTOP.  

Message 17 of 36
pendean

If you wish to provide Autodesk with feedback, you can do so here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Otherwise you're just shouting at no one on a public highway as all cars drive by at 55+mph if you do it here.
Message 18 of 36
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

WAKE UP AUTOCAD CORPORATE THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WORKING FROM HOME THESE DAYS USING REMOTE DESKTOP.  

This is not a new issue with remote desktop. If you read the thread thoroughly, Autodesk has acknowledged it and says the problem is with the remote software. In other words, they cannot make a change that will help with this. You need to look for other solutions.

Rob

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

From a pragmatic point of view I totally agree with you but if we're being honest, this is *not* a problem with RDP, is absolutely a problem with AutoCAD. This would be like Autodesk saying it's not their fault you bought a quad-core processor and their program can only use 2 cores for a handful of things and 1 for everything else.

I would still call that Autodesk's fault, not Intel or AMDs. And I am pretty dang sure the number one reason it happens is because C3D operates in a fundamental vacuum of competition. For now.

Message 20 of 36
LyleHardin

I also agree with this. It's not Remote Desktop, it's AutoCAD.

BUT

A previous solution of setting CURSORTYPE = 1 so you get rid of the crosshairs works wonders!

I highly recommend it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report