Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD not using dedicated graphics card

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
greg.edenX7N36
632 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD not using dedicated graphics card

Is there something in AutoCAD which tells it to ignore its own 3D graphics configuration and the Windows preferences for which graphics card should be used? I'm facing an issue where even when Windows tells ACAD to use the high-performance card...

gregedenX7N36_0-1694162244236.png

...and AutoCAD is telling itself that it should use this card...

gregedenX7N36_1-1694162283946.png

...that ACAD is still using the onboard graphics when I'm undertaking 3D functions:

gregedenX7N36_2-1694162337707.png

I've changed the Nvidia control panel to use the high-performance card by default:

gregedenX7N36_3-1694162428342.png

and just to try and cover all bases done the same for ACAD:

gregedenX7N36_4-1694162455246.png

but no joy. Other software behaves as it should, such as MicroStation, so why is it only ACAD that behaves this way? Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be gratefully received.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-...

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 10

I'm guessing you didn't read my post where I said I'd tried all of those steps...

Message 4 of 10

@greg.edenX7N36 ,

Sorry for the obvious question, but is this still an issue after a PC restart?

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 5 of 10

No problem, and yes it's been an ongoing problem for the last couple of weeks at least
Message 6 of 10

@greg.edenX7N36 ,

Check the suggestions from this link:

[Check monitor cabling to make sure it is connected to the discrete graphics card and not the onboard card.]

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 7 of 10

I've tried that too. Windows is reporting that both of my displays are connected to the onboard Intel GPU, but I can't manually change that. I can't change the cabling either as my laptop only has USB-C sockets so the HDMI cable to my second screen goes through a docking station. I tried disabling the Intel GPU in Device Manager and it just lost the connection to my second screen, which unfortunately is the larger of the two and on which I do my design work. 

As I say other 3D applications such as OpenRoads seem to work as I want them to (using the Nvidia GPU) it's just ACAD that's being awkward.

gregedenX7N36_0-1694168821322.png

Message 8 of 10

@greg.edenX7N36 ,

You may have to go thru our WSP - CADD Services Group and allow them to check for damaged graphics driver, and incompatible or outdated graphics driver or video card.

Emilio Valentin
Message 9 of 10
pendean
in reply to: greg.edenX7N36

@greg.edenX7N36 wrote:

....so why is it only ACAD that behaves this way? Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be gratefully received.

AFAIK AutoCAD uses what it deems to be practical for the task at hand, you can never force it as an end user: can you elaborate on what "3D" you are performing so others can test it out as well?

pendean_0-1694176476783.png

OR... open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup...

HTH

Message 10 of 10
greg.edenX7N36
in reply to: pendean

As an example, simply using 3DORBIT on a large model, I'd expect ACAD to pick the best GPU to handle that but it picks the worst one available.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta