Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD not displaying properly after disabling integrated graphics card

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
612 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD not displaying properly after disabling integrated graphics card

I was having an issue with AutoCAD crashing every time my laptop woke after sleep.  I discovered this was due to my system switching from the high-performance nvidia graphics card to an integrated Intel one to save power during sleep.  After manually choosing the nvidia processor to handle all AutoCAD tasks, I was still experiencing the same issue.  As a final effort, I went to control panel>device manager>display adapters and disabled the Intel graphics card.  Since then, I have not been able to get AutoCAD to display properly.

I initially got a warning from CAD saying that it required a certain screen resolution to run, despite the fact that my resolution is higher (3840x2160).  I clicked OK and it runs anyway, and all the application menus display correctly, but the .dwgs I open are crisscrossed with random lines.  I can't select these ancillary lines, and they change location and orientation when I zoom in.  It is very strange and frustrating.

I have tried changing the text scaling in my system settings from 300%(recommended) to 250 or 200, but it just makes the text illegibly small and the random linework still obscures my drawings.  See screenshot.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Your exact version of AutoCAD is...? Please list the info posted inn ABOUT command only.
and Windows OS?

From your screenshot it looks like you also need to turn off LINESMOOTHING and LINEFADING variables.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

AutoCAD 2019.1.2
Windows 10 version 1903
Message 4 of 8
pendean

Did you go ahead and turn off the two variables I suggested in the meantime? And did that help?

Is your sleepmode setting also a hibernate mode? As in more than just your monitor turn off? and do you really need that?
What is your laptop make/model?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, Pendean.

I turned off LINESMOOTHING and LINEFADING, but that did not effect the random lines throughout the drawing.

The laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad P1. I have it set to sleep (NOT hibernate) when the lid is closed. I am an architectural surveyor and need to be able to close the lid when I carry the laptop to different parts of a work site.

One workaround I have found: when I minimize the AutoCAD window I am able to put the computer to sleep and wake it up without crashing CAD.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I have found that just as a general rule, it is best to close (not minimize) all files and applications before putting Windows into sleep mode. I have seen several issues with programs (and hardware when programs immediately place things like graphics or CPU under load upon waking) not "waking up in a good mood". If all you need to do is simply close the lid on your notebook and carry it from point A to B, in power options there should be a setting to "do nothing" when closing the lid. I use this option daily, as my work-at-home setup has 2 large screens, and notebook sits too far away for the screen to be of any use, so I close the lid and just run with 2 externals. If you don't see this option in your current power plan, try selecting a different plan.

Message 7 of 8
pendean

Interesting workaround: thanks for sharing.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks, Dan.

Per your suggestion, I changed my power/sleep settings to "do nothing" when I close the lid.  So far no problems, except one time it actually did sleep because it ran out of power.  An imperfect solution, but an improvement.

In troubleshooting an unrelated problem, I found a different (imperfect) solution to avoid AutoCAD crashing upon waking from sleep.  Turning hardware acceleration OFF made the problem go away, but performance was horrible.  The cursor lagged and flickered so much that I really couldn't work effectively.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report