Autocad freezes on second plot to pdf

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
r.surrey
5934 Views, 23 Replies

Autocad freezes on second plot to pdf

I am using Autocad 2019 on Windows 10.

As in the title, Autocad plots any layout to pdf fine first time, but when attempting to plot a second layout (or the same layout again) the blue bar goes for three segments and then the program freezes, requiring 'end task' from Task Manager to shut down the program. On re-opening autocad, the first plot works fine again and the second freezes.

I have seen several threads on corruption in the .ctb and .pc3 files, but don't think this can be it, or the first plot would not work either.

I have been having an issue for a while where the second plot gives an error message relating to adobe, and I have to close 'acrotray.exe', but autocad itself would not stop responding and the program including plotting to pdf would then run without issue for the rest of the day, so did not look any further into it. But I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

edit: After the first plot 'acrotray.exe' does appear in the task manager. If I end task, I can plot again, but this time the 'acrotray.exe' task does not appear and on the third plot it freezes as before.

Please help.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
r.surrey
in reply to: pendean

I see your point about the crispness of the font, but this is because the file is just storing the text data, and the pdf viewer is applying the font (assuming the person viewing it has that font). Aside from the fact we like to have the same font on all our drawings as it forms part of our branding, this can lead to issues. I have received drawings from several different third parties saved in this way where some of the text is replaced by '.................', and I receive error messages about missing fonts. Also you will notice how it resizes the font, which depending on the drawing could cause additional problems. 

The built in drivers also make it very easy for someone to turn your pdf drawing back into a cad drawing (especially with the built in import feature since 2017). I admit I find this useful when I do it to other peoples drawings, but I don't want others taking my drawings from planning (all public domain here in UK), converting them back to CAD and using them as their own.

The file size is an issue as many companies/individuals still have email size limits of 9mb, which is actually closer to 6mb due to archaic email infrastructure. So if my drawings end up at 1mb or more each and I need to send a package of more than six drawings this is an issue. Obviously there is dropbox etc., but often it is easier/quicker to just attach a drawing set to an email.

If I may ask, what do you do that means filesizes are irrelevant to you?

Also, although I do appreciate that you have taken time to reply several times in this thread, your focus has consistently been trying to prove that this problem isn't a problem, rather than trying to find a solution. Despite the fact that several others have posted that this is also an issue for them.

I think perhaps you are assuming that the requirements you have of the software are the same for all AutoCAD users, when there is likely a wide variety of different demands and priorities depending on the intended use.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: cpriedel

Yes! This seems to have solved it. Thank you!

Message 23 of 24
arober315C864

This did not work for me....  Ugh this is killing me!

Message 24 of 24
arober315C864

Did not work... any other ideas?
I've tried everything...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta