Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - Escape Key Not Working

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
Anonymous
13733 Views, 52 Replies

AutoCAD - Escape Key Not Working

My escape key has stopped working for deselecting objects and I cannot add vertex along lines anymore. I can select the line, hover over the midpoint and select "Add Vertex" but nothing happens. I hit escape and the line does not deselect. I can shift select the line and it will deselect but not escape. All of the fixes I have found surrounding this involve having Photoshop open. I do not use Photoshop so that isn't my issue. I can restart AutoCAD and it works as it should for about 5 minutes before going back to the same issue. Any ideas? 

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

52 REPLIES 52
Message 21 of 53

Latest update... This morning installed down the NVidia display driver to the last recommended by ACAD V.472.47 (dated 11-10-2021). Same grip selection issue happened today (7-07-2022). Civil 3D 2022. eight drawing tabs open for about 2.5 hours. Not complicated drawings. Just construction detail sheets. Using regenall and then escape visually clears the selected grips, but, the grips are still not selectable. Time to close all drawing tabs and restart Civil3D.

PC is i9 with NVidia T2000.

Message 22 of 53

Another update... Tried reset settings to default as recommended somewhere else in this forum. This did not help the seemingly random escape key not working issue. The reset is found under <Start>,  <Autodesk>, <Civil 3D 2022 - English>, <Reset Settings to Default>. Still the same occuring issue with the ACAD grips not working with the escape key.

Message 23 of 53
pendean
in reply to: kevinluebbert1851

@kevinluebbert1851 wrote:

Another update... Tried reset settings to default as recommended somewhere else in this forum. This did not help the seemingly random escape key not working issue. The reset is found under <Start>,  <Autodesk>, <Civil 3D 2022 - English>, <Reset Settings to Default>. Still the same occuring issue with the ACAD grips not working with the escape key.

Start a support ticket through your subscription portal as explained here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options#:~....

HTH

Message 24 of 53
fkellogg
in reply to: pendean

I went through a Support Request a few months back, to no avail.
The technician wanted to log into my local machine, but I.T. here would not let him, so we could go no further.

The issue is not something that you can make happen when you want to, so the tech cannot see it live in action, unless you get lucky.

I can send you the tech's name and Support Request Case # if you like.

Message 25 of 53
pendean
in reply to: fkellogg

@fkellogg friend, we are all end users just like you: you might as well send me the contact info for moon astronauts for all the good it will do 😉

Your IT need to change their minds or you probably need to pay someone to come to your office: either way, as you know, there is never going to be a fix for something no one can replicate on demand. Those random issues become more of a "... what is going on at this second with my file or actions or... to trigger it... " as a method to diagnose.

Some of your specific replies point to a PICKFIRST or PICKADD setting issue, but you must have an auto-fix for it if you've missed noting that cause before today.

Good luck with it then.
Message 26 of 53
fkellogg

Meant to indicate I would sent the Case # info privately to kevinluebbert1851 in case a Support Request was initiated, and that info might help the Autodesk technician.

Message 27 of 53
fkellogg

OKAY.
This time I know exactly what I did as this thing happened.
I had one Block (with one text attribute) selected and then I double-clicked on an MText object to edit it. Nothing happened, and "No selection" shows in the Properties palette. Escape key nothing happens. Only one dwg file open.
Close program, reopen same file, try the same Block/MText sequence . . .
Problem does NOT occur.
Oh well, I was excited for a moment.

Maybe if we can track what may cause this, we can get it fixed.
Message 28 of 53

You had only one file open?... Darn I thought I was onto something when I had a hideous number of basic detail drawing files open. Kinda doing the copy/paste thing. No problem yet today. Did update the Logitech keyboard/mouse driver per request of autodesk this morning. I have only had this issue on Civil 3D 2022. There are 16 other users in our office with essentially the same machine setup with no issues that I have heard of. I will keep trying to find something to track down.

Message 29 of 53

Vanilla AutoCAd v2022 for me.

Started happening to me at least 3 years ago, in version 2016, 2018, whatever.

In trying to fix this issue I got a whole new PC.

This issue does not happen to anyone else in my office.

There's only a few of us here.

Has yours ever had a HARD crash on the simple Copy command? (not copy/paste clipboard)

Message 30 of 53
fkellogg
in reply to: Anonymous

Just a thought . . .

I use Dynamic Blocks extensively, sometimes over 100 of the same block, in various Visibilities, Rotations, Flips, Stretches, etc. Sometimes these DB's in their various states are include within other DB's.

The issue does not seem to be caused by specific interaction with DB's, but probably most of what I do does include them.
Is anyone else who is experiencing this "No selection" issue using lots of DB's?
Again, vanilla AutoCAD v 2022. all updated and reset, etc.

Message 31 of 53
ehaskin5

My ESC key is not working I am running windows 10/11 with paralles. I have been running AutoCad on this viritual machine for months and have never had this issue before.

What I have tried so far:

-I don't have photoshop installed on my computer

-I have uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD 

-I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard 

-I have reinstalled default setting on CAD

-REGEN/AUDIT/PURGE Drawings 

Message 32 of 53
pendean
in reply to: ehaskin5

@ehaskin5 wrote:

My ESC key is not working I am running windows 10/11 with paralles. I have been running AutoCad on this viritual machine for months and have never had this issue before.

What I have tried so far:

-I don't have photoshop installed on my computer

-I have uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD 

-I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard 

-I have reinstalled default setting on CAD

-REGEN/AUDIT/PURGE Drawings 

Have you seen this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Escape...

Message 33 of 53

No hard crash on copy command.

Message 34 of 53
kevinluebbert1851

I have seen those resources and tried/performed as recommended. It still happens. I usually have noticed it when I have a lot of different drawings open at the same time (like editing many different small detail drawings) and not being diligent to close the drawings not needed to be open and not being used. I have not had it happen within the last month or so.  I update my Nvidia T2000 video to the most current driver and all other windows updates and computer manufacturer recommended updates are current.

My only solution is still to close all drawings and close and reopen Civil 3D.

Message 35 of 53

Had to "Like" the post, but still dislike (no quotes) the problem.

I have had it happen with a single drawing open, even tried starting a NEW dwg while the issue is happening, and it is happening there too.

Message 36 of 53
fkellogg

Happened again just now.

I was in a paperspace viewport, mucking with dimension primary and alternate units / text.

after editing the text through the properties palette, I went to re-position the text, and BOOM!
Weird thing is, with dimension selected, and "No selection" showing, I type in "ddedit" and I can edit the text and it saves. Still shows No selection afterwards.
Close / save everything, re-open and muddle along. Not before Boss comes over my shoulder and says, "What are you doing?" while I am typing this out. Not the first time for that, either.

Message 37 of 53
pendean

Open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options/we...

Message 38 of 53
fkellogg

Been there, done that.

See previous message from 07/07/22.

Message 39 of 53
pendean

I missed that, sorry: either your IT need to relent or your IT needs to find you a solution then, there is not much point in you to keep posting the issue over and over again, you've got something very unique going on that remote fellow users like us cannot help you out with.

Good luck with it.
Message 40 of 53
kevinluebbert1851

I still appreciate all users input as this is still an ongoing issue. Maybe a software pattern or even a user error pattern will ultimately then be evident. That could give real data to for a potential solution or work around. keep calm and post on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report