Did you mean: 

AutoCAD & Google File Stream

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
5282 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD & Google File Stream

We just recently merged a portion of our server off of Google Backup and Sync onto Google File Stream which is a new service giving us a mounted mapped network drive. We are using Sheet Set Manager to assist with our file organization, but ever since we merged over to the network drive, Sheet Set manager no long recognizes any of the views created in our *dwg. files when the SSM is pathed to that drive. If I copy a version of the *dwg. to the hard drive and remap SSM to target that folder, all of the views nested inside the *.dwg appear and can be placed into our sheets. I tried making the files on the G:\ 'available offline' thinking that AutoCAD needed a physical copy of the files onto my hard drive, but this doesn't work either. I have a topic started on the Google forums addressing the same issue, and need help.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I was away from the Community for a bit and just now found your post. I apologize for my delayed response.

I have seen a few other cases like yours so you are not alone.  AutoCAD is not really designed to work in the environment you describe so it is hard to offer any suggestions.  I have been watching the forums on Google's site and it appears that a lot of CAD users are seeing similar issues.Unlike a truly hosted VM environment where your machine instance lives on the cloud along with the data, you are working with a local application trying to access the data on the cloud so synchronization, latency, packet loss and many other factors can affect performance and behavior.

I will continue to watch for suggestions/solutions related to this configuration and will try to post back with any findings.  I have seen that some customers have re-installed the Backup and Sync version from Google to keep working but this sort of negates the advantages of the File Stream mapped drive.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

I experience other issues such as massive lag and hangs running Autocad 2018 on sheet sets in a Google File Stream, but I haven't noticed this symptom. It may be due to workflow differences. I always find the solution is to pause GFS sync, and then the data appears as fast as local drive data, with HDD level latencies. I'm surprised this doesn't apply to your issue. Have they fixed this in GFS updates?

Message 4 of 14
jesseW6LCC
in reply to: john.vellek

We have been having an issue where Google File Stream adds a (1) at the end of the file name.  When another user saves a file called Site_Plan.dwg, I see it as Site_Plan (1).dwg.  It is really messing up our x-refs.  Anyone have a solution to this?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jesseW6LCC

We had the same problems and couldn't find a solution. Wasn't sure if this happened when two people had the file open, and this was the method for creating two separate files, or if this was just an inherent flaw with the FS software. We ended up dropping FS and found a separate server system since it was too problematic when interfacing with AutoCAD.

Message 6 of 14
jesseW6LCC

What platform did you move to?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

We operate two offices and ended up getting our own Synology servers with a dedicated VPN connection between the two. We had a hard time finding a cloud platform that enabled the 'locking' of files which we determined to be critical for our workflows.

Message 8 of 14
jesseW6LCC

Thanks John!  We will most likely need to migrate to a legit server.  We like the ability to have everything available offline, but it seems like we won't be able to keep this setup.  Thanks, 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

set ISAVEBAK=0 and file stream seems to be working. Just did a few test and all positive results - no (1). 

thx 

Message 10 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Good information on this issue. I would guess however that most customers would be hesitant to eliminate backup files from the workflow. Have you explored the MOVEBAK option to see how it affects this configuration?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Yes - I changed the .bak files location to my C drive and for some reason file stream creates (1)’s. Only way I know is to set ISAVEBAK=0. Seems to be working for me. 

Message 12 of 14
ethanL3SFU

We tried using shared drives via Backup and Sync which worked OK until google eliminated the ability for users to add new shared drives to their backup and sync so it appeared as a folder on their local machine. The main issue was there was no clash / open file detection so we had to be careful with who was using what. Wound up shifting everything to a Synology NAS and VPN for remote access which basically performs like a typical mapped drive. May look back into Stream for non revit files so ease access and editing from ipads.

Message 13 of 14
thomas

The same setup with Dropbox works perfectly...why can't AutoCAD and Google Drive work perfectly too?

Message 14 of 14
RobDraw

Why ask why?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report