AutoCAD 2023 - Version will not save dwg file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ironhorse01879
558 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD 2023 - Version will not save dwg file

ironhorse01879_1-1670359696793.png

I get the above message almost every time I click save while working in a drawing.  This has been going on for months.  Does anyone know how to fix this please?

thanks

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: 2023 version will not save dwg file ]

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: ironhorse01879

What did your I.T. person suggest in the months this has ben going on?

FWIW your OS/Server OS/ File Storage location locks files from being overwritten, it could be whatever your L:Drive location is, or as it notes, something else has your file open. or a limitation of your log-in to that location: a "save" in AutoCAD involves your login's ability to delete/rename/copy and overwrite files.

By chance is your Windows File Manager set to show files previews in it? That's a known culprit.
Message 3 of 8
ironhorse01879
in reply to: pendean

Our IT dept has looked at it multiple times but they are not familiar with AutoCAD so no solution has been suggested or found.  We use Windows 11, and there are not any other sessions open.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

@ironhorse01879 wrote:

Our IT dept has looked at it multiple times but they are not familiar with AutoCAD so no solution has been suggested or found.  We use Windows 11, and there are not any other sessions open.

Familiarity with AutoCAD is no necessary, as I noted above (see below), share this link with them when you get  chance https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Saving... and this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Unable... 

pendean_0-1670360897828.png

You also did not answer my last question: did that tip fix the problem?

Message 5 of 8
ironhorse01879

I'm not seeing a file manager setting. we use Windows Explorer, but I can't find any settings
Message 6 of 8
pendean

@ironhorse01879 wrote:
I'm not seeing a file manager setting. we use Windows Explorer, but I can't find any settings

This needs to be turned off (unselected, no checkmark)

3.jpg

Message 7 of 8
ironhorse01879

ok, thanks, got that turned on. please forgive me but not being tech savvy, how does the preview pane help in the saving process? what does that have to do with it?
Message 8 of 8
ironhorse01879

wanted to say thanks. i opened 7 different drawings that previously had the unable to save message, made multiple changes, inserted a large number of new blocks and saved multiple times between model tab and sheet tabs. it has saved correctly without any issues. again, many thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report