Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2023 - Printer option disappears when printer is selected

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jeff3J5VE
345 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2023 - Printer option disappears when printer is selected

I recently upgraded to a new computer.  (Windows 11 and Autocad 2023).   I've had problems getting my plotter driver to work.   I downloaded the latest driver from HP.    When I go to select my driver from the plot dialogue box, it disappears and reverts to "none".   I found an article by Autodesk about this problem (link below), but the solution did not solve my problem.   The "Printer Configuration Search Path" is set to the correct location.   

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Printe... 

I'm at a loss as to what to do.   Has anyone else had this issue?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Printer option disappears when printer is selected ]

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: jeff3J5VE

Do you have "HIDE SYSTEM PRINTERS" checked in OPTIONS command by chance? I do not, all my HP system drivers have no issues at all being used

pendean_0-1668186864780.png

Message 3 of 9
jeff3J5VE
in reply to: pendean

No I don't. We normally don't have issues with the HP plotter.
Message 4 of 9
awatson5EJAC

Out of curiosity, does the printer work outside of AutoCAD? I had a similar issue about a year ago on Windows 10, but it wasn't just in AutoCAD. My issue turned out to be an error from a recent Windows update (I had to revert top a pervious version of Windows to get my printers working).
Message 5 of 9
jeff3J5VE
in reply to: awatson5EJAC

It shows up as an option in other programs and can be used.   The problem isn't that it isn't working, but rather that it literally disappears and reverts to "none" when selected in the plot dialogue box in Autocad, exactly the way Autodesk describes it in that article I linked.  

Message 6 of 9
pendean

@jeff3J5VE Basic AutoCAD limitation, 40-ish years now: NONE happens when your driver's exact name and exact version as saved in each and every DWG file (and each and every layout in each DWG file) is not a 100% match.

Is it fair to assume you've not known hat before today? Your new PC with new Win11 has an HP driver that is not literally 100% identical to your older Win10 PC/driver is the problem.

It's why most of use use PC3 files with names like PRINTER1 and PLOTTER1 that we recreate over and over regardless of the device'/driver name so we can avoid that problem.

I bet that's all you see.
Message 7 of 9
jeff3J5VE
in reply to: pendean

I'm not sure I'm following you. This issue is happening even brand new drawings with nothing in them. We've also tried using the old driver and have the same issue.
Message 8 of 9
dmfrazier

Just a hunch...

Check the default plot settings for new drawings and experiment with different settings:

dmfrazier_0-1668196429841.png

(Disclaimer: This is based on 2021 and the assumption that things have not been altered significantly in 2023.)

Message 9 of 9
pendean

@jeff3J5VE wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following you. This issue is happening even brand new drawings with nothing in them. We've also tried using the old driver and have the same issue.

Is there ever a warming like this?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-...

As a test, set any other driver instead of this one, and see if you can replicate the issue exactly. Did it or did it not happen?

I suspect you need to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options/we...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report