Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2023 double-clicking opens multiple instances of AutoCAD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
patrick.phillipsT8ATG
624 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2023 double-clicking opens multiple instances of AutoCAD

Not my issue, but a coworker's.

And before anyone says anything, I know that opening a file through AutoCAD is the best way to go. I can't control how other people open their files.

Okay, so this issue has been cropping up on two of my coworker's machines where when they double-click on the file to open it, and instead of opening the DWG in the same instance of AutoCAD, it opens an entirely new instance.

We made sure that there was no AutoCAD processes hung up in the background.

We made sure that the SDI was set to 0.

We made sure that the application used to launch DWG files is set to the AutoCAD DWG Launcher.

We tried rebooting.

We even tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

All to no avail.

Has anyone else had this issue and know a different method to try to resolve this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

So, the user wants you to spend time trying to fix an issue because they don't want to follow recommended procedures?

Hmmm...

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 9

I hardly see how that matters.

Simply put, with all the available settings put in as they are now, double-clicking on a DWG file in Windows Explorer should open up the DWG in the existing instance of AutoCAD.

However, it is not.

Therefore, regardless of what anyone's personal preferences are for the method of opening a DWG file, something is not right, and I am trying to solve the problem, not ignore it.

Ignoring a problem does not fix it.

Message 4 of 9

It's a Windows setting except for SDI. 

Rob

Message 5 of 9

Yes. Yes it is. Why are we discussing this?

All I'm looking for is whether or not anyone has encountered this issue as it stands and managed to solve it.

Message 6 of 9

It wouldn't be a problem if the user knew how to maintain the proper settings for their chosen method of opening files.

I'm surprised that no one else has chimed in. There are a lot of people that know how to set this up properly and the settings are posted in numerous places in this forum. I don't know why it continues to be a problem unless someone is not applying the settings correctly.

Rob

Message 7 of 9

And as I stated... all the settings in both AutoCAD and in Windows are correct, but the issue is still occurring.

Message 8 of 9

I don't know what you are looking for if everything is correct. Oh, I know. Don't forget about opening the files from within AutoCAD.

You might want to consider posting screen shots of all of those settings from the users computer. Maybe you are missing something. Posting all the ones that you've checked. It will serve to verify that it's been done correctly and thoroughly. 

Lastly, you can try a complete uninstall and reinstall. The computer should ask if you want to assign the new program as the default for opening .dwgs.

Rob

Message 9 of 9

patrick.phillipsT8ATG I agree with you.  Any other program on my PC will open a file in the "Already Opened" software... except Autocad 2023.  Many times I am opening more than one project folder on my server at a time.  To go through the 'Autocad' file browser is not efficient.   At least for me.  I will have multiple explorer windows open as one time (typically at least two).  I have yet to try reinstalling my Autocad software.  I think that will be my next step and will report back to the chat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta