Autocad 2022 Trim command

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
coffeejeanpaul
5505 Views, 18 Replies

Autocad 2022 Trim command

Good day, 

Using the new trim command, I do find it quit horrible, as it is trying to process and predict trim that I do not want ending in a result of AutoCAD crash.  Is there a way to switch the command back to the old trim?  

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Do you mean the trim command preview feature?

If that, turn it off with the COMMANDPREVIEW system variable (set it to 0).

If you want the old trim behavior, set TRIMEXTENDMODE system variable to 0.

Message 3 of 19
vinodkl
in reply to: coffeejeanpaul

Hi @coffeejeanpaul 

The trim command was given a new enhancement and it works a little different than how it was before. This change was got in version 2021 and many people complain about this enhancement. You can switch back to an older way of working with trim and extend by typing in the command "TRIMEXTENDMODE" and setting it to "0" 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 19

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/AutoC...

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 5 of 19

Thanks

Message 6 of 19
TrevN

Or when you start the Trim command, select Standard in the command bar, rather then having it set to quick.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: fatal.error

thanks for this ...

If you want the old trim behavior, set TRIMEXTENDMODE system variable to 0.

back on track ....

Message 8 of 19
aliff_ahtenk
in reply to: vinodkl

wow this has save my life.. i thought it is permanent, coz my drawing have many things and it definitely will crush the drwing.
Message 9 of 19
tpl_arch
in reply to: vinodkl

Is there a way to have both new and old trim/extend commands....I like both for different purposes

Message 10 of 19
fatal.error
in reply to: tpl_arch

You should create a LISP routine as shown above:

(defun C:TRO (/)                     ;Old trim
  (command "TRIMEXTENDMODE" "0")
  (command "TRIM")
  )

(defun C:TRN (/)                     ;New trim
  (command "TRIMEXTENDMODE" "1")
  (command "TRIM")
  )

Message 11 of 19
hellafella

I'm just trying to figure out how they spell enhancement...there is no way way they even tested the command we all use on the daily...bad job by you autodesk is an understatement

Message 12 of 19
RobDraw
in reply to: hellafella

Before criticizing, you should realize that the old functionality is still there and just a setting for the command.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 19
CherMcGettigan
in reply to: Anonymous

This setting back to the old mode did no work in 2022 version.  Is there another way to use the 2020 version for trim?

using a window selection then selecting what you want trim and not letting the computer do it.  If it's not broke then why do they think they fixed it.

Message 14 of 19

Why do we have to create a lisp for everything that is changed?  I don't get paid to create lisps.  I get paid to do my work.

Message 15 of 19

Trim Extend was not broke so why does Autodesk think this fixed it.  Also, change mode to 0 didin't work.  Guess I'll just use the break command.  Working from 2020 straight to 2022.  Ugh!  Losing my project hours with this.   

Message 16 of 19
RobDraw
in reply to: CherMcGettigan

You give up too easily. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 17 of 19
pendean

@CherMcGettigan wrote:

Why do we have to create a lisp for everything that is changed?  I don't get paid to create lisps.  I get paid to do my work.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-52B3803E-FADC-4D7B-9BF2-A176C7FB7535 

Message 18 of 19
pendean
Message 19 of 19

@CherMcGettigan wrote:

.... change mode to 0 didin't work.  ....   

If you mean changing TRIMEXTENDMODE didn't work, that's only one of the relevant System Variables.  It's about cutting-edge selection [new = automatically starts with everything selected; old = you had to hit Enter to tell it you wanted that].  But if you're talking about after cutting-edge selection, the previewing of what's going to be cut away if you pick on it:

Kent1Cooper_0-1685471804977.png

I suspect that's the real topic of the original question, because of the wording "it is trying to process and predict trim that I do not want."  That's controlled by the COMMANDPREVIEW System Variable [see Message 2].  You may want one or the other or both of those System Variables set for the old way.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta