11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4234 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 will not open

Happy new year:

I'm brand new to this forum and thought I would post this question here:

Three days ago, i was working with AutoCAD with no issues.  However, the next day AutoCAD would not open properly.  It first appears to load properly, but a message "Regenerating model" appeared in the bottom user input box and it this point it would lock up.

I have tried a reboot, but that has not resolved the issue.  I have also tried opening AutoCAD as the administrator but that has not worked.  I have also checked for operating system updates but it is up to date Windows 10 updates.

I do not know how to resolve this and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> AutoCAD would not open properly.  It first appears to load properly,

>> but a message "Regenerating model" appeared

Can you please try the same with another AutoCAD drawing, just to make sure it's not file-specific.

If that is not specific to a special file (or a group of files) then look to Windows control panel ==> programs and functions ==> and see what was installed in the last times (new software or drivers or updates) and try to uninstall them.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
BeKirra

Happy New Year.

[Joke]

Q: AutoCAD 2018 will not open. Why?

A: It must be on annual leave.

1st of all, can you check your machine if it meets the system requirements?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-r...

2nd, check if your AutoCAD 2018 is up-to-date.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads?release=2018

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 4 of 12
ennujozlagam

@Anonymous hello, try to use recover. thanks

recover.JPG

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for tasking the time to respond.  

Unfortunately, it is not file specific which would have been simple.

I have also checked any recent updates potentially installed between the time i was successfully using AutoCAD and the time when it started locking up.  Unfortunately, the latest system or program upgrades were installed almost two weeks prior.  I am not sure this is the problem.

Very strange, as I have never seen this issue before

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: BeKirra

Thanks for the response BeKirra

Great thought process.  I checked minimum system requirements as suggested, and my work station exceeds the minimum required.

I also checked and verified that i have the most up to date AutoCAD 2018

Thanks again for your time.

Do you know if AutoDesk would be ok if i were to touch base direct with them in resolving this issue?

Message 7 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tried a Reset Settings to Default to see if that restores your AutoCAD 2018 functionality?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you try the Reset?

Can you also try creating a new user account to see if you can logon with it and then launch AutoCAD?  Please let me know your status.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John:
Thanks for the reply. Our IT manager did a repair of AutoCAD yesterday and it didn't fix the problem.

Is a reset a different procedure? Please Advise

Regarding the idea of logging on as a different user, I will forward that to our IT manager and get his thoughts since he is the administrator. I will keep you posted.
Message 10 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, a Reset is different than a Repair.

Can you describe what happens when you try to launch the software? Does anything happen? Do you see any error messages?

John Vellek

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

When I attempt to launch the software it appears to open fine.  I can see the menu items along the top and the user input dialogue box at the bottom.  There are however no error messages that appear

Directly above the user input dialogue box the message "Regenerating model" appears.  However, the software locks up at this point and I cannot do anything.  I cannot aces any of the menus or input anything into the dialogue box at the bottom.

Very frustrating.  How exactly would i go about doing a reset?

Message 12 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

what happens if you create a new Windows user account on your system, then login with that account, start AutoCAD ... same issue?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report