Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2017 freezes with a specific project

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
928 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCad 2017 freezes with a specific project

In a specific project our AutoCad 2017 freezes for 30 seconds or so every time you; for example, just select the base layout, draw a pipe or when you use a command for measuring the area. Basically, it does not matter what you do - AutoCad still freezes.

We keep our projects in network shares in our servers, and if you copy the project and drawings to your own hard drive - this problem does not happen. 

This does not happen with other projects, just this one. Also, this only happens with drawings, which include an architectural layout. In other projects and drawings, which include an architectural layout - this does not happen.

Does the community have a clue what might cause this kind of behaviour? Next steps to troubleshoot this?

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

Check all external reference pathes.

Command "XREF"

Is there a on who is not found?

Do start start you Acad and then open the file from Acad?

Sebastian

Message 3 of 8
rkmcswain

Use Process Monitor to watch file/registry activity, that may help you find the bottleneck.

Here is an overview of how to do that: Tracking down why that application is slow

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

It sounds as if some network latency or some permissions are possibly causing this problem.  Can you zip up the part of your project that contains the architectural layouts?  I would like to see if there is any complex geometry, excessive file size, drawing corruption, etc.  Are you using Sheet sets and Xrefs in this project?

Which versions of AutoCAD are in use in your process?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

In this project, please check to see if there are any broken links in Xref Manager.  Perhaps your AutoCAD session is trying to find parts that are missing.

Please let me know if you can share some files.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi,

I ran ProcessMonitor as you suggested (thank you @rkmcswain ) and turns out the .QPD requires Read/write privileges and is not successfully receiving them. (SHARING VIOLATION, DESIRED ACCESS: GENERIC READ/WRITE).

I am thinking that this is because of a dwg file in this project has crashed and is now locked. It has .DWL and .DWL2 files locking it and I cannot remove them. That locked .dwg file must then lock the .QPD file to read only state, as it also requires write permission. This is based upon the fact that the project and all files work like they should when they are copied to local C: -drive, and the .QPD file permissions are granted to the person who copied them, instead of the person who locked them by crashing the file. (When you copy a file from network share to your C:, you are the owner of the file.)

So the next questions would be:
How do I INSTANTLY remove .DWL and .DWL2 files if a certain .DWG has crashed and is now locked by those two files?

Can I adjust the time when the .DWL -files are deleted or when they can be deleted? Is there a such option or feature in the server end or in the client end?

Message 7 of 8
rkmcswain

@Anonymous -

.DWL and .DWL2 files are NOT lock files. They are created (and locked themselves by the O/S) when a .DWG file is opened. They contain the same info, in different formats, and that is the name of the user and host who opened the file - for use by the WHOHAS command. [READ MORE]

If AutoCAD crashes, those files get left in place. But if you or anyone else, opens the same .DWG again, they are overwritten with new data.

If you cannot delete .DWL and/or .DWL2 files, it's just because the O/S has them locked. Use the tools in the server O/S to close and release these files.

There was some discussion on a thread about a registry hack to prevent the .DWL and .DWL2 files from being created, but IIRC - it only worked on older versions like 2004/2005.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

I was able to terminate some jammed ncp connections to the files that were locked and cause of the .dwl and dwl2 files. 

So I am marking this as solved.

In summary, AutoCad was freezing every time some actions were done in certain project. This was troubleshooted with ProcessMonitor and as a result of that, a .QPD file, which was linked to the project did not have sufficient privileges (read AND write). This was due to the .QPD file being locked because of an crashed .DWG file which was still having some ncp connections from user to server. After these connections were terminated, .QPD file started acting normal (crashed .dwg file released the .qpd file from being locked) because users had the permission to write/modify the file.

Thanks all and especially @rkmcswain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report