Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2017 file format

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
385 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD 2017 file format

Hi guys,

I have an open drawing with 4 separate sketches on it. I would like to produce an A2 printed document with all 4 sketches upon it evenly spread out.

Any clues how to help?

I have managed to get all 4 in very tiny scale to show in one corner but would like for them to be individually shown in all 4 sections of the paper.

Many thanks,

Eddie

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

Your AutoCAD skill level is unknown, but it sounds like you don't know about layouts and viewports.

If so, start here, and then progress onto other videos there.  It's far too complex to try and guide you using words in a forum post. If you have some specific questions afterwards, come back and ask away.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

why don't tou explain it to me rather than sending me a  novice info video

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 4 of 8
Michiel.Valcke

We are here to help you, not necessarily to teach you everything.

As was said: we don't know your skill-level so we pointed you in what we think to be the right direction.

Since apparently that wasn't really clear I'll give you a short rundown.

1. Click on one of the lay-out tabs next to your model space. If you don't have lay-outs pre-set in your drawing you can make a new one with the command _LAYOUT

2. Use the command _PAGESETUP to setup the printing settings of your layout (do you want to plot to .pdf or to your printer?) Based on that you can choose your preferred paper size. Really tricky settings to watch out for in this menu: Printer/plotter (best to choose wisely) Plotstyle table (best to set it to none) Plot options (kinda depends on what you want to plot and how you want it plotted) Drawing Orientation (best to not pick the plot upside-down option, unless offcourse you really want to) Plot scale (best set it to 1:1) Paper size , Plot area (if you do everything right, Layout should suffice) Plot offset (0.00 // 0.00 seems right for you)

3. Once you have done so you can make a new viewport with the _VPO command. (4 is a good option) and don't forget to read the command line where you'll see you have the "F" option to make them automatically fit your entire printable surface.

4. If you doubleclick inside a viewport you can move around until you see your drawing. Use the properties tab to set the scale to which you want your Viewport to show your drawing. And if you like it, then you best lock it.

5. Do the same with the other viewports, but don't lock them.

6. use _MVSETUP to align your different viewports so that your drawings lign up exactly.

7. lock your other viewports.

8. try _PLOT or in case you're old-fashioned CTRL+P

9. apologize for being rude to someone who's offering to help you.

Best Regards

Message 5 of 8
pendean

why the rudeness? You came for help, did not explain your abilities in the program, so around here the assumption is always to assume you need to start at the beginning.

So act like a grown-up and post your DWG file here so we can all see your actual issue of "... all 4 in very tiny scale to show in one corner but would like for them to be individually shown in all 4 sections of the paper....".
Message 6 of 8
gotphish001

Did you even watch the video? I doubt it because it answers your question. You asked a very beginner question so you got a very basic answer. Good luck trying to get further help when you got nasty about the help you got when it was exactly what you asked for. If it didn't help all you had to do was say," I understand all that part in the video, but where I'm stuck is this". No one here knows if you've been using autocad for 10 years or 15 minutes. By your question most people that answer questions here are going to assume on the 15 minute end, so that's why you got an beginner answer.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 7 of 8
imadHabash

Hi and Welcome to AutoCAD forum,

>>  I would like to produce an A2 printed document with all 4 sketches upon it evenly spread out. <<

you can use Layout or Model space for that.in Model space draw A2 rectangle size in proper units that match your drawing units.now this rectangle size will have 1/100 capacity.start to MOVE your 4 sketches in it in proper way. also you have to understand that you can scale this A2 frame as :

• scale A2 by 0.5 factor to get a capacity for the drawing at 1/50 .
  • scale A2 by 2.0 factor to get a capacity for the drawing at 1/200 .

all the previous just to know the capacity of the A2 frame. now when you want to plot your A2 with 4 sketches start to prepare all the settings and the most important issue is to input the right scale factor in the dialog. (you can make it FIT to Paper to get the right near factor)

Good Luck...

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

Why don't you explain it to me rather than sending me a novice info video?

Attach your *.dwg file here and I will create a video explaining how to solve the problem with your file.

Attach the file here and end all doubt.

Can you ask your instructor to joint this discussion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta