Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

92 REPLIES 92
SOLVED
Message 1 of 93
Anonymous
210730 Views, 92 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

I have installed the new AutoCAD 2015, and although in previous versions we can use classic workspace, in 2015 edition, I can't find this option. Am I missing something?

Image comparing 2014 and 2015: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag155/borimol/autocad_zps7e861118.jpg
92 REPLIES 92
Message 61 of 93
smorrison1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you very much for helping the rest of us get Acad back to normal.
Message 62 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

thank you this saved much time 🙂
Message 63 of 93
Greg2015
in reply to: nrz13

Hello Ive tried it all but no success, what I need to do is import a dwg or drawing, does autodesk have one so I can download it with the classic view and be done once and for all. Ive been struggling with this crazy stuff for months?

Thank you, Greg
Message 64 of 93
nestly2
in reply to: Greg2015

Have a look at the instructions and corresponding 3 minute video in post #25  --> LINK

Message 65 of 93
Greg2015
in reply to: nestly2

Yes,

I tried this and there's not enough items in my toolbars to do this I've
tried it before with the video. Can you send me a drawing to download
please, in order to get these classic toolbars saved from another drawing,
or download?

Thank you very much, Greg
Message 66 of 93
nestly2

Toolbars are not stored in drawings.  

Unless AutoCAD has already been customized (ie toolbars have been deleted from the CUI), all the toolbars in the video should be there in every install of AutoCAD2015.  Are you perhaps using an Enterprise CUI, or using a vertical version like AutoCAD Achitecture, AutoCAD MEP, or AutoCAD Civil3D?  If not, you can reset AutoCAD to the default settings, in which case the CUI should be exactly as shown in the video.

How to Reset AutoCAD to defaults

Message 67 of 93
Drafter1981
in reply to: nestly2

Any Ideas About "Missing or New Addons for 2015"???

I will post ths as a new question / topic but it sort of falls in the same category regarding losing fuctionality in AutoCAD2015.

Basially I'm trying to find out if I'm miising any "Add-ons, or updates for AutoCAD2015?

The reason I ask is because I have been running into issues with “Viewing Ductwork” to create graphics.

Please refer to the attached PDF or jpegs of my screen views of the AutoCAD files I typically get to create graphics.

As you will notice, the AutoCAD2014 seems to be handling converted Revit Files and “Showing the Ductwork”.

For some reason AutoCAD2015 does not show these items (Ductwork) and this may be a problem for not just for me but for other AutoCAD users if they are using Acad2015 for estimating, device locations, etc., etc., etc..., or in my case creating floor plan graphics. I will also post this question up on the AUGI site but figured someone her may know the answer already.

As usual thanks in advance for any help, or information.

Regards,

Milt (a.k.a.: Drafter1981)

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Message 68 of 93
pendean

See your other post @Drafter1981

Message 69 of 93
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
I have installed the new AutoCAD 2015, and although in previous versions we can use classic workspace, in 2015 edition, I can't find this option. Am I missing something?

Image comparing 2014 and 2015: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag155/borimol/autocad_zps7e861118.jpg

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 70 of 93
kittugs143

Hi Go to Command Box - CUI (enter) Click on Workspace ( Right Click ) Add New Workspace ( Enter) On right side Click Customize Workspace On Left Side Click Tool Bar ( Select as you required Tools ) On Right Side Click Done ( Enter ) Done Now you can use AutoCAD Classic Workspace
Message 71 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: kittugs143

Thanks for the reply - we're all aware of how to replace our Classic Workspaces ... that's not the point. The point is that (A) the Ribbon was never well-thought out, it was probably more of a distraction for Autodesk's laziness in coming up with actual features of value (B) Adding an interface that reduces monitor screen HEIGHT makes no sense as monitor screens don't get higher, they get wider. The Ribbon thereby actually REDUCES useable space, it does not enhance it (C) Looking for a selection within a panel in a zig-zag fashion for speed users will NEVER be as fast as looking in a linear fashion. Human physiology/eye-hand coordination simply does not work that way (D) Autodesk made this change because MSFT decided to revamp its Office interface, not because it was an actual 'let's make this a better product interface for our users' choice. This is, I suspect, largely in part due to Autodesk's becoming lazier and lazier in developing any real ACAD improvements.

I suspect Autodesk has few or no working Architects either testing or developing their ACAD product. If they did, I guarantee you a large number of so called 'improvements' wouldn't be there and hundreds (look at the Wish List over the last 10+ years) of truly useful features WOULD be. As usual, the bigger the corporation gets, the wider the disconnect between the usefulness of the product and the end-users' needs. Every year our ACAD subscription loses value and has less relevance.

Thank God Autodesk didn't buy SketchUp.
Message 72 of 93
Anonymous

It doesn't matter if the Classic Workspace is not supplied with a new release.  Once you have migrated the Classic Workspace manually from a release in which it was standard (for example, migrating it from 2014 to 2015), it becomes a "Custom Setting".

So, when installing AutoCAD 2016 with the option to Migrate Custom Settings (from AutoCAD 2015), the Classic Workspace is migrated automatically, since it is already present in AutoCAD 2015 as a Custom Setting.  This was not the case last year when installing AutoCAD 2015.  Hopefully from now on, the Classic Workspace will be migrated automatically every year.

Tablet menus, for those who still use a tablet, are not automatically migrated, and still have to be done manually.  But it only takes a few minutes.

Message 73 of 93
freesbee

...well, with discontinuing perpetual licenses they won't have to push out an immature release every year, because they will earn money from the pay-per-month instead of from the subscriptions. Let's hope that this will improve things in the future. Maybe we'll get a better GUI...

Don't forget to buy whatever you might need before Jan31st 2016 😉

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 74 of 93
choon72

1. Switch Workspace to "Drafting & Annotation"

2. Locate the little arrow with "Minimize to tabs" "Minimize Panel Titles" and so on....

3. Right Click the arrow and select "undock"(you will see all tabs and titles dissappear.

4. Almost the same place, there is another arrow next to "Quick Access Toolbars". Select that arrow and choose "Show Menu Bar", the classic drop down menus are back.

5. Go to "Tools">"Toolbars">>>to select menus that you use.

6. Remember to save the workspace and put a name.

Message 75 of 93
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the reply - we're all aware of how to replace our Classic Workspaces ... that's not the point. The point is that (A) the Ribbon was never well-thought out, it was probably more of a distraction for Autodesk's laziness in coming up with actual features of value (B) Adding an interface that reduces monitor screen HEIGHT makes no sense as monitor screens don't get higher, they get wider. The Ribbon thereby actually REDUCES useable space, it does not enhance it (C) Looking for a selection within a panel in a zig-zag fashion for speed users will NEVER be as fast as looking in a linear fashion. Human physiology/eye-hand coordination simply does not work that way (D) Autodesk made this change because MSFT decided to revamp its Office interface, not because it was an actual 'let's make this a better product interface for our users' choice. This is, I suspect, largely in part due to Autodesk's becoming lazier and lazier in developing any real ACAD improvements.

I suspect Autodesk has few or no working Architects either testing or developing their ACAD product. If they did, I guarantee you a large number of so called 'improvements' wouldn't be there and hundreds (look at the Wish List over the last 10+ years) of truly useful features WOULD be. As usual, the bigger the corporation gets, the wider the disconnect between the usefulness of the product and the end-users' needs. Every year our ACAD subscription loses value and has less relevance.

Thank God Autodesk didn't buy SketchUp.

Agree 100% with everything said above. I never heard about AutoCAD potentially buying Sketchup either: thank your dieties of choice that they didn't, could you imagine??

I knew there must be a way to get AutoCAD 2015 back to classic mode, but in the time it would have taken me to post on the forum and ask, get a reply that says "it works fine for me", wait for a useful reply, and get a proper answer on how to convert it, I instead used that time to revert back to 2014.

2014 had the gear symbol at least, that lets you change it. If AutoCAD can't even leave that alone between version changes, and make it this much of a ballache to revert to the proper view, I'm never upgrading again. All this time and money they spend on features that aren't needed or wanted by many users on here, who they ignore...

Message 76 of 93
choon72

Sure...thks. I found acad interface very similar to Revit...are they going
to amalgamate both?
Message 77 of 93
Anonymous

arcsolutionsinc - I am going to take a guess that you are North of 40 years old as your statement seems more like a gripe than fact.

A. The ribbon works perfectly fine, it takes a few hours of your time to work a little slower until you are comfortable with where things are and are usually kept together within the ribbon. For example if you want to modify a drawing then all the tools are located under modify. Also workflow goes left to right.

B. Agreed the ribbons do narrow the workspace but only if you leave them there, you can dock them to the sides of the screen if you prefer and no matter where you dock ribbons (or classic buttons) it will reduce your working area regardless of whether it is classic or ribbon. Thre is also the autohide function.

C. "Speed users" in my experience tend to use keyboard short keys as they have a hand free to do so (unless you have a 2 handed mouse) and this functionality is still there. and hand eye co-ordination only works one way... you see, you touch.

D. Autoesk made this change partly because Microsoft changed their GUI but also partly because of improvements in computing/Hardware/Programming.

Autodesk do have architects, engineers, designers etc working and testing for them as they have a Beta release program where anyone can sign up and critique the new releases before they are officially release to the public. Further to this, yes there is a big wish list for all Autodesk products but they do not have unlimited resourse and some of these requests are out of the realms of current programming, so they do try as much as possible to bring these into the new releases but they are limited by time and resource. If there are ideas you want to see in new releases then go to the development center and give them Kudos points as the higher the Kudos the more likely it is you will see it in the new releases.

The point here is that time moves on, improvements are made and not to everyones liking but that is the price of progress. I have been and ACAD user for 14 years and an Inventor user for 13 years and as the latter I have to say you are lucky they still have the classic at all. Inventor users got 2 releases with both classic and ribbon and then it was ribbon only. This was an annoyance at first but within a couple of days I was back up to speed and I truly believe the ribbon is an improvement.

I suggest al those set in their classic ways put asside some time to use the ribbons and start to migrate over because I doubt AutoCAD will continue programming 3 times per function (Text/Classic/Ribbon).... That or get the pencil and T-square out of retirement as that is where we would be if we all disapproved of change (especially change that IS an improvement once you give it a real chance).

If you still do not believe me then try creating an array in classic and then use the ribbon.... I know which I prefer.

Message 78 of 93
freesbee

chrisjuk12 wrote:... I doubt AutoCAD will continue programming 3 times per function (Text/Classic/Ribbon)....

FYI:

All of the elements for recreating the classic workspace are still there.
There doesn’t seem to be any plans to change this now though, so we can sleep quite for the next few years

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 79 of 93
Greg2015

Chris,

If you don't like having all of your classic drawing tools, or pallets up
where you can access them quickly with then good for you. Why not get rid
of AutoCAD 2015, and the classic menu all together, save time, and migrate
over to the BMI Revit that's what I'm doing?

Thank you, and have a nice day. Greg
Message 80 of 93
Anonymous

Greg,

I agree with your statement, why not update to Revit (for architects) or Inventor (for Engineers). I would much prefer to use inventor over ACAD as it is much faster to create models and drawings, you have parametric function that are inreadibly easy to use to help automate design, iLogic to add to this automation, Super fast drawing creation, presentation views, studio environments for marketing etc the list goes on, and the biggest plus for me is that Inventor is dimension driven instead of goemetry driven which means if you overwrite a dimension it actually changes to model so that you can see if your change is valid/possible where as you can (and I have seen it many times) dimension a drawing incorrectly for example - wall height 3m, cill height 4m could be done easily in ACAD but Revit would give you an error.

My little rant was to show that some people are just uninformed or in some cases just like any oppertunity to complain. Autodesk have included many features that allow you to set up your workspace to how you like it, you can export these settings so that they can be imported on other machines or later releases, there are processes set up so that people can have their say on what goes in to a new release etc.

Further to this I would recommend all ACAD user to consider this change as 2D design is becoming a thing of the past. More and more manufacturers are asking for 3D model files. Architectural companies want 3D models for fly throughs and visualisations for tenders as they help sell concepts better than a 2D drawings. Rapid prototyping and 3D printing is quickly becoming a viable method of production which again requires 3D models. All these leaps forward in technology require leaps forward in design which are slowly eating away at the nead for 2D packages.

Change is like a river, you can try to stop it but it will inevitably wash straight over you. It is better to go with the flow than try to change it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report