autocad 2004 on windows 10

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
43192 Views, 6 Replies

autocad 2004 on windows 10

Hello,

My father has Autocad 2004 and he doesn't want to work with another version. He has to buy a new computer but he wants to use his Autocad software and the requested configurations are Microsoft Windows XP, only. For sure he can't find a new computer with an old operating system.. 

So I have to find a solution. Can I use a virtual machine with Windows XP ? or any other solution ?

Thanks for your help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

A virtual machine is probably the most stable configuration for running such an older version of AutoCAD.  To turn this on, click Hyper-V in the Windows Features.

Capture.PNG

Once you enable this feature and a reboot happens, Simply start up the Hyper-V manager to create a new VM. Of course, you will need to locate  a copy of Windows XP to install as the OS.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
TheCADnoob

I would go with @john.vellek suggestion and try Hyper V first. I was able to load one using Oracle. I then installed XP and R14.

You will need legit copies of both the OS and CAD. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
pendean

In addition to the other tips...

Most users find these free tips help a lot http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

For others still they purchase a fix from these folks http://www.longbowsoftware.com

Hope these help.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks to all for your quick response. I am going to study your solutions now, I am not very strong in computer either. And find him a new computer sufficiently performing. If you have any suggestions I would be interested. Thank you all. Good evening.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I was able to run AutoCAD 2004 on windows 10 successfully. Just run the compatibility option at install and run all the other settings normal. You can also install the express tools!

Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the contribution.  While this is working at present I want to warn other customers that running older versions that are not designed for this environment is not suggested. Many things can fail at some point due to security changes, OS updates, .Net Framework and C++ library changes, etc.  So while it it is possible to get the software up and running, one puts their productivity at high risk of failure due to things that change in the environment which are not under their control.

Also worth mention is that your 15 year older software might not work with current devices such as your hi-res 4k or 5k display, your modern printer and might present compatibility issues with others that are running current releases.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report