Did you mean: 

arcs in a custom linetype

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
autoMick
2566 Views, 4 Replies

arcs in a custom linetype

Hi, I'm trying to create a custom linetype similar to the image below. It originated from a microstation drawing which was imported into AutoCAD. It seems to be composed of 4 arcs. However, when I try to create something similar from scratch using the express tools Make Shape and Make Linetype, I can only create a segmented polyline for the arcs. I have to bump up the resolution to a ridiculous number just to get something similar.

What's the trick to using arcs?

Thanks

- Mick

linetype.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: autoMick

AutocAD linetypes don't do that without a shape file with the many arcs you want defined in it as a "font".

Are you trying to avoid the use of REVCLOUD command? It draws random arcs all day long.and you don't have to close it.

Message 3 of 5
autoMick
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean,

I got as far as defining the 'shape' and incorporating into the linestyle, but for the shape autocad requests a resolution (or some wording to that effect), which seems to define the polyline segment lengths to replace an arc. I'd noticed that the microstation imports had no hint of segmented arcs.

Regarding RevCloud - I need some fine and course versions of the wiggly line.  I was under the impression that the revcloud linetype wasn't scalable - is this correct? otherwise, that would solve my immediate issue

Thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: autoMick

I'm not up on writing my own shape files, sorry. and I have no Microstation experience.

Define "scalable": arcs in REVCLOUD are sized manually at time of creation only, they ignore annotative scales.

I believe this classic tip from 2002 might offer ideas on how to improve your own code http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-general-discussion/how-to-create-linetype-of-alternating-ar...
Message 5 of 5
autoMick
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean, I hadn't come across that one before - it looks like that will work for me.

Cheers

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta