Did you mean: 

Arch C does not print correct with HP T520 pinter

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
6295 Views, 18 Replies

Arch C does not print correct with HP T520 pinter

We are trying to print Arch C size outputs to an HPT520 printer.  For some reason it does not print correct.  We have it set to landscape and it prints in a portrait and leaves too much space at the bottom.  When we place it into portrait, it prints out incorrect as it leaves too much space on the sides.  I have printed out directly from the HP driver and I get a correct version of output.  Has anyone run into this issue?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Lowell Kay

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
leothebuilder
in reply to: Anonymous

Difficult to say what's wrong if we don't know all the settings that produces the incorrect result.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: leothebuilder

I have attached the print dialog box and the output from the HP printer.  Does that help?

Message 4 of 19
leothebuilder

What is your paper size in Autocad ? e.g. what size is the title block? Is that tailored to Arch C size? 

In the plot dialog is see that you ticked the box for "scaled to fit" so the print is being scale 1:1.44

That will could result in "out of whack" printing with larger borders than expected.

Message 5 of 19
beyoungjr

Hello, I found a handy 2009 pdf from HP that I have relied on for using a few printers at college over the years.  Not sure if there's an updated document but here's the link to the one on their site...

http://www.rpg.com/Tips-and-Tricks-with-HP-Designjets-&-AutoCAD-apps-FINAL.pdf

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: leothebuilder

the title block is 34x22.0001.

I have run a test when removing the fit button check mark and that seems to fix the problem.  I will run some more tests tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

THANK YOU!!

Lowell

Message 7 of 19
beyoungjr
in reply to: beyoungjr

Also looking through my geeky shortcut folder with helpful stuff and wanted to share this 2004 info I occasionally fall back on. It should help in understanding your roll printer.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?5048-Plotting-save-paper-and-your-brain

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have the same problem. The size of my frame is 24" wide x 18" tall (well, at 1/4 scale with 144' x 96'). When I try to print to the T520, it clips if I try to orient the 24 inch side of the drawing along the 24" width of the paper. It will print with the 18 inch side of the paper along the 24" side of the drawing, but then, as you say, you get all that extra space on the plot.  I have also tried generating a PDF file and then I try to send the PDF file to the T520. But the same problem occurs.  I have wasted so much paper/ink trying to figure this out!   

I am using a USB connection, though I checked on the printer screen itself and it indicates that the printer is up to date (I assume that means Firmware too). 

Message 9 of 19
lizzyhsloan1981

Hi again, A little more information.

1) I am using Autocad 2016LT and Adobe Acrobat Pro 2015. Neither of these printing windows look much like what finds in the T520 manual for printing with Autocad or PDF (for example, I don't have the pic of the paper roll showing the drawing on the paper with the scissors). 

2) I can print ARCH-C (24x36) plots just fine where the 24 width of the drawing is laid out along the 24 width of the paper roll

3)   I have attached a screen grab for the case where I am trying to print the 24" wide x 18" tall PDF file (which was generated in autocad). You can see the Page Setup sub window in the upper right where I have ARCH C and the portrait orientation. I have chosen Portrain orientation because I want the 24 width of the drawing to be printed along the 24" width of the paper. But you can see in the 'Print' window that the right side is 'greyed' out- that it will get cropped.    

4) I have even tried printing in autocad (or generating a pdf and printing that) where I take a modestly smaller window ... ie, so that I am generating a ~ 23 x 17  sized output. And I still have this printing problem. So the source of the problem isn't that I am just a little bit bigger than 24x18 by mistake. 

still driving me mad

- ART

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Sorry for the multiple posts.

I found a cluge of a workaround (in Mac). After creating the 24wide x 18high PDF, I open the pdf with Mac's Preview app. I am then able to print as desired (with the 24" orientation of the pdf against the 24" width of the paper roll) to the T520 and obtain a 24" wide x 18" high piece of paper with the autocad drawing oriented & placed correctly.  Note, for best results, I use the custom paper size option in the Autocad print window in creating a paper size that is 24" wide and 18" high (with zero inputted margins). I use this custom paper size (portait orientation) to create the  24Wx18H PDF from Autocad (LT 2016). And then I use this custom paper size again to print in Preview (creating this custom paper size in Autocad apparently creates it in the printer 'land' as its available for use with other applications). 

This doesn't answer the question of why my Autocad (for Mac) and PDF both are unsuccesful in sending 24"x18" plots to the T520 to realize 24x18 sheets (off the T520 24" roll). But it works and, suprising to me,  the line quality from the original Autocad file is maintained in the Preview app's printing.  24x36 sheets are printed fine for me, directly from Autocad to the T520.

Message 11 of 19
wai1954

G'day,

If you do a zoom extents on the drawing, does it show a lot of blank space?

With it zoomed out, if you select all the drawing (Ctrl+A), and you have grips turned on, do you see a grip out near the edges of the screen?

Seeing as you have it set as Landscape, if you tried setting it as Portrait, what would happen?

How does the plot preview look?

Have you tried creating a fresh PC3 file?

Have you tried setting limits and printing to limits?

Sorry to bombard you with questions 🙂

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: wai1954

Hi Ian,

Answers to your good questions:

1) If you do a zoom extents on the drawing, does it show a lot of blank space?

A1]No it does not. And there are no 'extra' entities beyond the drawing. I have trouble shooted the problem with a very simple drawing composed of a rectangle (representing the paper size)  that is used to define the drawing size sent to the printer, and a couple of objects inside of the rectangle. 

2) With it zoomed out, if you select all the drawing (Ctrl+A), and you have grips turned on, do you see a grip out near the edges of the screen?

A2] No

3) Seeing as you have it set as Landscape, if you tried setting it as Portrait, what would happen?

A3]  Note, I have tried two approaches to printing the 24wide x 18 high drawing. The first is directly through Autocad. The drawing itself is laid out on the screen with the 24" width visually along the 'x' axis. If I print this in Autocad, using Arch-C paper settings, in Landscape mode it prints the 24" width along the lenght of the paper roll, while the 18" drawing height is along with 24" width of the paper. So this is not desired. If f I print this in Autocad, using Arch-C paper settings, in Portrait mode it prints the 24" width along the width of the paper roll, while the 18" drawing height is along the length of the paper rolll. This orientation is as desired, however the output (along the 24" width of the drawing) is cropped, as if the 24" drawing width is too large for the 24" paper roll width. I can even make the drawing be 20 wide x 18high and output it in Portrait mode and even this 20" drawing width gets cropped against the 24" paper width. One can create a custom page 18Wx24H or 24Wx18H, so that one would have to print landscape or portrait to get the 24"wide drawing image against the 24" wide paper roll, but in both cases you still get image cropping when the 24" drawing width is printed against the 24" paper width.   The other approach was to first generate a PDF in Autocad. And then open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro and print from there. for this case the pdf is without a doubt 24wide x 18high (you can measure it in Adobe Pro). But I still have the same above problems.    YET, as posted last, I found success using the Apple 'Finder" viewer to open and print to the T520. I can also print a 24x18 image succesfully from Adobe Photoshop and from Powerpoint.   So the problem seems to be in how my Apple2016LT autocad (and I had the problem with the 2015 LT as well) and how my Adobe PDF interacts with the printer. I don't have the problem with other apps. 

4) How does the plot preview look?

In my earlier post, there was a screen grab of the "print' screen.... it shows how part of the drawing is greyed out, indicating that cropping will occur- and it does occur. I don't use any other sort of plot preview. 

5) Have you tried creating a fresh PC3 file?

I don't think that I use PC3 files? When printing in Autocad, I just type 'plot' and proceed ... changing the setting in the Print window each time. Because I created custom paper sizes (eg, the 24wide x 18 high), I can select them, when I want,  when pick the appropriate paper size. 

ART

Have you tried setting limits and printing to limits?

Message 13 of 19
ndawsonmccann

Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the exact same issue with the HP DesignJet T2500. I have a large area of white space at the top of my print. If it printed at a 90 degree rotation it would be fine but it doesn't do that. 

-Nick

Message 14 of 19

I had to modify my PC3 file to change Layout/Output of the HP Plotter to Autorotate. Then i distributed the new pc3 file to my cowrkers. Problem solved.

-Nick

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Hi, lowellkay
I have got a printer problem on my HP LaserJet 1320. I have also asked some of the persons they also said that they didn't the answer for that. When I was using the print out on my hp laserjet I am unable to print to the correct paper size. it seems like that the page bottom line has space at the bottom and it was portraited.It either print too big then my friend suggested to me to reinstall the printer driver which I will problem solve.i have also searched on the internet and finally, I have found the printer drivers Now it is good working and better performance.i hope If you reinstall that printer drivers then you will get better performance.
Thank you.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ndawsonmccann

Same problem....how ( or where) do you modify the .pc3 file settings. from the printer dialog? 

Thanks, Philip 

Message 17 of 19
ndawsonmccann

Hi Philip,

Open the Plot screen. From there, where you see Printer/Plotter Name: Select your printer and once it is selected you can see the Properties button becomes available to click. This will open the Potter Configuration Editor window. From there you can do a lot of customization.

It's been a while since I've done this and I don't believe you have to modify the .PC3.

Instead open the regular plotter properties window and at the top select the second tab called Layout/Output and at the middle right check the Autorotate button. Hope this helps.

Nick

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ndawsonmccann

Nick, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You've helped out more than you know. 

I'm using LT 2016 so a couple of different steps:

Once you open the Plotter configuration Editor you go to "Access Custom Dialog" for custom properties/Features then AutoRotate. 

You made my day-thanks! 

Philip 

Message 19 of 19
mikeXT5ZN

My solution was, I reset my plotter to factory settings.  I was having the same problem with my T-130.  When Arch "C" was selected a 24" x 24" sheet was produced with the printing offset.  This would occur printing from Adobe Acrobat, Auto CAD, and other applications.  So far so good.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta