Did you mean: 

Angle an entire disk 15 degrees to the center

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
796 Views, 14 Replies

Angle an entire disk 15 degrees to the center

I've gotten to this point, but now I need to angle this entire face towards a specific point, by 15 degrees. My idea in my head is like shifting it to a line of a cone, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. Any suggestions?

I'll include the dwg file.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

Its not clear what you want to rotate not about what axis.

Create a line that defines the axis you want to use.  For example, if you want to rotate the shape by an angle about  a line parallel to the Y axis passing through the center then create a line in the Y direction.  Use the rotate3d command (not 3drotate) and specify the Y axis and then any point on the axis line.  Input the desired angle.

image.png

If the axis for the rotation is not parallel to one of the principal axes then used the 2 point option of rotate3d to define the axis.

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 15
Patchy

Do you want to bevel that surface 15 degrees?

15.JPG

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Yes, that's more what I meant...but will beveling it keep the indents I have on the shape?

Message 5 of 15
Patchy

I can't open it with my Autocad.

No, it doesn't look like it's deep enough.

Message 6 of 15
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

....but will beveling it keep the indents I have on the shape?

Unfortunately, no.  I Extruded a Circle at the outside edge, downward with a 75° taper angle, and Subtracted it from the original Solid.  Some of your source shapes for the indentations are there, but the indentations have all been cut off by the Subtracting.

Kent1Cooper_0-1632319103033.png

I suspect you would need to rotate those source shapes downward by the same 15° from the nearest point on the outer edge, and do the same process you did before to make the indentations in the canted surface.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper That was the original plan...I can rotate the objects around the x and z or y and z axis, and the xz yz axis for 45°, but between 0° and 45°, I have no idea what the math would be to make the rotation even towards the same point.
Message 8 of 15
Kent1Cooper

I would, for the Omega shape that you have the outline of in the drawing, use UCS with the ZAxis option, give it the QUAdrant point of the outer-rim Circle as the base, and pull downward in the Y direction to tell it the new Z axis direction.  Then you can Rotate the Omega about 0,0 by 15° [the yellow here]:

Kent1Cooper_0-1632329107962.png

For the other outlines you need a different origin and Z-axis direction, or you could Rotate them in the WCS to that same position, do the same Z-axis change and Rotate with them, and back in the WCS, Rotate them back to where they were.

I would suggest doing the Lofting or PressPulling or whatever to get the Solids to cut away, first, then do this operation with one of those of each shape, and Array them once all set.

To be nit-picky, the surface you're carving the indentations out of will be conical, not flat, so if the shapes are made with something like PressPull, the depth of indentation will vary slightly across the width of each shape.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 15
Valentin-WSP

@Anonymous ,

Are you trying to make it look like this?

ValentinWSP_0-1632329440495.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 10 of 15
Patchy

Why not slice the top, copy a bunch of them, UNION them and then slice 15 degrees. Then add the solid bottom that got cut off? There are a bunch of ways.

Bevel.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-22 115527.jpg

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Yes, exactly like that! 🙂
Message 12 of 15
SEANT61

Another alternative.  Here, I've managed to keep the engravings as perpendicular cuts.  See attached drawing for steps.Perpendicular Cut.jpg

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 13 of 15
Valentin-WSP

@Anonymous ,

@Anonymous wrote:

... I need to angle this entire face towards a specific point, by 15 degrees. My idea in my head is like shifting it to a line of a cone ...

Here is a brief explanation.

First:

Make a COPY of the object and EXPLODE.  ERASE everything except the engraving portion and then EXTRUDE.

A 15 degree cone will be use to SUBTRACT from the top. Then COPY those objects down and SUBTRACT - to make the bottom also 15 degree.

ValentinWSP_2-1632394352675.png

ValentinWSP_3-1632394710033.png

Second:

Just like you said, create a "cone" at 15 degrees.  Adjust your UCS before creating the triangle within the object by drawing a line from the QUADRANT snap to CENTER, then ROTATE line 15 degrees (Trim or Extend).  JOIN the lines and use REVOLVE to create the coned object (REVOLVE 360). Now SUBTRACT the cone from the circular ring to obtain a beveled edge.

ValentinWSP_1-1632393103933.png

Third:

Move the engraving objects down to the circle and SUBTRACT.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 14 of 15
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

@Valentin-WSP wrote:

... create a "cone" at 15 degrees.  Adjust your UCS before creating the triangle within the object by drawing a line from the QUADRANT snap to CENTER, then ROTATE line 15 degrees (Trim or Extend).  JOIN the lines and use REVOLVE to create the coned object (REVOLVE 360). ....

You can make the cone with a single command, without the Lines/Trim/Extend/Join/Revolve steps.  See the beginning of Message 6.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 15
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: SEANT61

@SEANT61 wrote:

... to keep the engravings as perpendicular cuts.  ....

That's an important question in my mind, @Anonymous : does the difference between indentations that are perpendicular to the conical surface and those that are vertical projections from the flat original matter?  The vertical-projection ones will be about 3.5% longer in their radial-direction extent on the surface, the round ones won't be quite circular, the "horizontal" parts of the Omega and O and [whatever that other shape is] will be wider than the "vertical" parts if those were of equal width in the flat originals, etc.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report