Aligning Objects in Different Viewports

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sbrusco
1686 Views, 5 Replies

Aligning Objects in Different Viewports

Hi All,

I have two xRefs in model space and expose each in its own paperspace viewport. Is there a way to align an edge/line in one xRef of one VP with an edge/line of the other xRef in the other VP?

I can do this visually but is there anyway to assure alignment?

TIA,

Sal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
john.vellek
in reply to: sbrusco

Hi @sbrusco,

Is VPSYNC (Express Tool) what you are looking for to do this?

If not, an old-school method is to draw  a line for reference in paperspace from an object in one viewport. Then use CHSPACE to drop the reference line into the other viewport. Then you can use a -pan to move the model view in the second one to the reference line.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

OSNAP works through the viewport in PS.

Message 4 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @sbrusco,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 6
sbrusco

Hi All,

The two viewports of which I speak (did I just say "of which I speak"?)  contain unrelated objects so the sync express tools mentioned is not really relative.

I have two viewports in PS, one above the other. All I want is to make a vertical line in VP1 appear co-linear with a vertical line in VP2. To accomplish this I used the "old school" approach mentioned earlier where I drew a vertical line in PS starting on and snapping to a vertical line in VP1, then I moved the other VIEWPORT so that the vertical line in it snapped to the vertical line in PS.

I know there is a place for the express tools vpsync command works as intended but just not for the simple, visual needs I have.

Thanks all for your input.

Sal

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

VPSYNC "assures alignment" and there is no reason it shouldn't be more than sufficient to accomplish your needs, but then again so should simple OSNAP's and point filters, without having to create a construction line.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta