Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe PDF file name when Publishing

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
matthew_breeden
2672 Views, 14 Replies

Adobe PDF file name when Publishing

User is having an issue with the PDF file name when publishing PDFs. She would like to use the default naming and not be prompted for a file name for every file, especially when publishing. 

Printer is Adobe PDF.pc3. The system printing preferences has Adobe PDF output file set as C:/PDFs, and not Prompt for Adobe PDF filename. When accessing the printing preferences through Autocad, the Adobe PDF output file comes up as Prompt for Adobe PDF filename. 

I have tried recreating the .pc3 to no avail. It will always come up as Prompt for file name within Autocad. 

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Is there a way to remove the prompt for file name? 

Other PDF printers are not an option. 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

No. With the help of Publish it is impossible.
You can specify a file name when printing through "DWG to PDF" and using additional programs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 3 of 15

Are you saying it is going to ask for a file name every time, no matter what the system settings are? I do not want to specify a file name. 

Why would Autocad want to change the file naming scheme from default settings? 

Message 4 of 15
pendean
in reply to: matthew_breeden

PUBLISH command suppresses prompt for name if you tell it to do so under PUBLISH options if you select one of the built-in PDF pc3 files (you can define a destination there too). No need for a custom PC3 file.

When "use pagesetup defined" and when plotting, the pop-up will always appear as far as I can tell, not sure AutoCAD every behaved differently if you only ever used OOTB commands and tools. It would appear you and your client might be ready to move to more advanced customizations is you want to do it all with differently.

Message 5 of 15
matthew_breeden
in reply to: pendean

I don't think Publish command has anything to do with it.

If I change the output settings under PLOT and save to the .PC3 (not temp), the next print will revert the setting back and asks for the file name. 

Message 6 of 15

HI @matthew_breeden,

I don't have the Adobe PDF  option in my AutoCAD but I would like to see if I can help. Can you show me some screenshots of the Publish or perhaps a Screencast video?

When I use Publish, and select the PDF Preset, I can then set the Publish Options to not prompt for a filename if I am using a multi-sheet PDF output.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 15

See my latest update. It doesn't have anything to do with Publish as it happens with Plot. 

Message 8 of 15

HI @matthew_breeden,

I am sorry but I was under the impression that you were considering the Publish command as suggested in your first post.

As Dean stated in his last post, the Plot command has always worked this way.  I am guessing that answering a single file name prompt was not considered a priority as opposed to a multi-file plot in PUBLISH giving the user multiple prompts.

Thank you for posting about this issue in the forums. If you prefer a change in the capability or in the way the plot feature works I suggest that you contact the product team directly. If you have additional comments specific to the software or its functionality for future consideration, please use the Product Feedback page. How to provide feedback on Autodesk products goes into more detail.

Another great option is to participate in the AutoCAD Customer Council. This is an opportunity for our customers to partner with the AutoCAD development team to improve future releases of AutoCAD by giving continuous feedback on ideas, designs, and early builds.
In order to get involved email autocad.beta@autodesk.com or autocad.lt.council@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 15

Can you attach an example .dwg file?

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 10 of 15

It does happen during PUBLISH, but that fact that it happens during PLOT too makes me think it is not exclusively a PUBLISH issue. 

You may be right regarding the "always been this way." I am only going by what the user had told me. She claims to previously never having to save by file name every time. It could be a PUBLISHCOLLATE thing too, as that was a recent customer request for individual sheets. 

I don't think a feature request is needed, just looking for an understanding of what is happening. The PDF driver is setup to not ask for a file name, yet it does anyways. 

Message 11 of 15

I have attached a sample drawing. I am not sure much can be gained though if it isn't a DWG issue, but possibly a printer or ACAD issue. 

Message 12 of 15

Your file can be saved in PDF with a different name.
But this is not a standard, it's an additional program. And print through DWG to PDF.
If necessary I can make a video tomorrow.
Or show on Skype (the address of the link in the signature)

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 13 of 15

I am well aware I can save it in PDF with a different name. 

Your comments have gone askew and do not reflect my questions. 

Message 14 of 15

@matthew_breeden wrote:

I am well aware I can save it in PDF with a different name. 

Your comments have gone askew and do not reflect my questions. 

Can you do this automatically?
And I can.
Good luck!

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 15 of 15

After some more testing, I notice that the PDF driver settings do work as they should. Closing and reopening ACAD seems to be the key part in getting this to work. I guess changing a printer's settings with ACAD open does not give the program a chance to reload all of those internal settings.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta