Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4k Scaling

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
3697 Views, 22 Replies

4k Scaling

I find it unbelievable that a 'premier' software that costs nearly 3 grand will not allow proper dpi scaling for high resolution screens. This is a design software and it is crazy to me that they do not care about the designers that use high resolution screens. I will not switch out my screen every time I have to use CAD. Adobe figured it out and so did some guy on a laptop that "tricks" your computer to scale it to make settings legible in CAD. Not a perfect fix but it works. This has been a known issue since 2013 or perhaps before. They did say on a forum it was going to come out in 2014, but here we are in 2016 and still no scaling for high resolution screens. Maybe with enough pressure they will help us out here that use high resolution screens for more than just CAD. 

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Pretty certain you will have to wait for a future release to get what you want.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

I just hope it's soon. I just don't understand why they haven't seeing as if it was a known issue since before 2014 release. But you are correct, I will certainly wait I suppose!
Message 4 of 23
RobDraw

As the usage of 4k monitors grows, you will see a change of some sort.

Rob

Message 5 of 23
pendean

Simply setting your display to 1920x1080 and only 100% text scaling is another more viable fix while we all wait for the next release that can work with these monitor settings.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I wish that worked but unfortunately does not 😞 I disabled dpi scaling, turned it on, etc as well and this is what I get... even worse! I wish I could find a decent fix. Thanks for the reply! I attached the image of what it now looks like with those suggestions Untitled-1.jpg

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

I was pretty shocked/appalled to find this issue as well.  Just bought my maxed out Dell XPS laptop and was anxious to get CAD on it, but was highly disappointed by the display settings.  Some things are so tiny they're barely legible, and others are cartoonishly large.  I don't get it.

I loaded 2016 first, and had the issue, looked into the system requirements, and they just said 1600x900 or higher.

Then I looked at 2017 requirements and they mention support for high res and 4K.  This is not support.

Hopefully they issue a patch.

Message 8 of 23
RobDraw

You shouldn't be shocked. This has been an issue for years. some people were successful in getting a decent display by tweaking the resolution settings before support was available. It took a while for 4k monitors to become more commonly used. If you had done some more digging before ranting, you would know that 4k support was made available in a recent update for AutoCAD 2017. There are a number of threads on this topic here.

Rob

Message 9 of 23
pendean

How can you be shocked when this topic has been around for years and discussed for years? The only shock ought to be that you did not do any research up front before you spent all that money on a new system that you cannot fully use.

Another shocking fact: you've managed to ignore that Autdesk for years now only adds new abilities, features and fixes to newer AutoCAD versions and rarely goes back.

AutoCAD 2017 with the 2017.1Update for those with a current active annual subscription ONLY get the 'fix'. It will most likely be built into the AutoCAD2018 version (or whatever the next one is) as well.

Don't hold your breath for an imaginary "issue a patch": you're ignoring historical facts.

This is your current fix in 2016 so you're not trying to work with the klutzy screen in front of you: set your display to 1920x1080 (sometimes higher may work as long as one set of those digits is under 2k) and only 100% text scaling.

Good luck: and do your research next time.
Message 10 of 23
nrz13

@pendean

That's pretty harsh since he mentioned looking at the required specs for AutoCAD.  It's not his fault that Autodesk published inaccurate information on their website.  I've reported that mistake to Autodesk for years, ever since 4K displays started showing up in this forum and it took them until this year to fix it.

Also, I don't think most people would even think about the display being an issue.  A lot of people aren't as technical with computers as you and I are.  Not everyone follows the forums regularly to see these issues cropping up.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 11 of 23
pendean
in reply to: nrz13

@nrz13

It may have been harsh, I was going for "not researching is a mistake": if they truly looked at the "required specs" they say nothing about 4k displays...

Display Resolution 1024x768 (1600x1050 or higher recommended) with True Color
Display Card Windows display adapter capable of 1024x768 with True Color capabilities. DirectX® 9 or DirectX 11 compliant card recommended.

You cannot assume support for something if it's not listed or mentioned. "or higher" is worth asking the question.

It's the year 2016, we all have the world wide web on our phones, research is easy on PCs and laptops, and most of us buying something new to us like 4k displays do the research.

I mean I did before buying my first (and only) 4k TV set, my first Blue-Ray, my first iPhone, my first Samsung Tablet, my first ... well, you get the idea. And most others of us do the exact same just before they buy something new to them. Right? There is no requirement to be "technical", just more cautious about spending hard earned money (even if it's the company's money, most show restraint).

Message 12 of 23
nrz13

I know you and I have had this discussion before, but I'll reiterate that 4K is higher than 1600x1050, so when it says "1600x1050 or higher recommended", people buying a 4K display will see that they meet the recommended spec.  Displays have been getting better every few years since 800x600 was the standard and this is the first time this has become a problem.  So I'll say again, I don't think most users will even think to think this particular aspect needs to be researched.

Anyway, the OP and subsequent posters can now see that AutoCAD 2017 with updates is the first version to begin to support 4K resolutions so our discussion isn't adding anything more to the thread.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

Actually they do address the specs:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System...

Capture.PNG

So maybe, just maybe, before harshly criticizing someone who did actually read something published BY THE COMPANY producing the software rather than some "Expert Elite" user on a forum, you should do a little reading yourselves.

Message 14 of 23
pendean

@Anonymous

Your link is to R2017, the user is on R2016: here is the correct link LOL
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2016.html

If they have 2017, they can get the 2017.1update that fixes it. No longer an issue, they would not have posted I suspect.

I accept your apology.

Message 15 of 23
pendean
in reply to: nrz13

We will have to agree to disagree.
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

The subject of this thread is 4K scaling.  The OP happens to have tried it on 2016.  I stated that I've tried it on both 2016 and 2017.  Of course my link was to 2017, that's what I was talking about in my first post.

This is supposed to be a community forum where people go for help.  If you're not actually going to help and just spend your time criticizing people, maybe you need to find a better use of your time.

Message 17 of 23
RobDraw

The 4k support is for 2017.1, an update to 2017.

Is that the version you have?

Are you having trouble getting it to display properly and would like help or are you just here to rant because you can't get it to work? Because it seems like you don't want help from the community and are here to vent.

Rob

Message 18 of 23
pendean

Vent away: it's a free world.

But it does not change the reality that:
1. R2016 and lower have to make do with lower displays settings,
2. R2017 with 1+year subscription gets you the 2017.1Update that fixes the problem.

3. The fact that #2 requires a paid active 1+year subscription may well mean that no one with R0216 or lower is going to a get a free fix from Autodesk. Ever.

How would you like to alter this reality?

If you'd like to complain to Autodesk (that's not anyone replying to your post or in these forums for the most part):

Feedback can also be sent in on the online Product Feedback form: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Some users may be inclined to participate in Autodesk Labs, Autodesk Beta, and other feedback opportunities to influence the future of Autodesk products by becoming part of the Autodesk Feedback Community https://beta.autodesk.com/oid/login.html

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

I see no mention of this update available for the student version. Is this the case? 

Message 20 of 23
arkarthikn

Change the Screen resolution to 1920x1080 and the display % to 125%.. Hope it will solve your problem..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report