Did you mean: 

4K is blurry

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4229 Views, 12 Replies

4K is blurry

Hi.

I have two 4k monitors and I'm not able to set up Autocad correctly. The scalling is at 200% which is exactly 100% at 1080p, so that's correct. The problem is that 1) the UI is blurry and 2) The lines that I draw are also blurry, which kinda defeats the purpose of using 4K screens... All my other professional softwares work perfectly, so it's definitely linked to Autocad.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Tomislav.Golubovic
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm using 3 4K screens, but i'm using them at 100% and there aren't any issues. I also have a laptop which is 4K but at 150% size and it looks fine. Which GPU and are the drivers up to date?

Message 3 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have two 4k monitors and I'm not able to set up Autocad correctly.

>> The scalling is at 200%[...]

>> which kinda defeats the purpose of using 4K screens

With 200% you are referring to DPI-Scaling? Because then you should only have something changed in the menu area, drawing/displaying lines does not depend on DPI scaling, so I would not understand why this is not sharp.

Can you please let us know which version of AutoCAD you are using?

Also please create and upload a screenshot (make sure it is not scaled by any image-software so we can really look exactly to each of the pixels around a text and around a line you have drawn.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I have a desktop with a i7 4770 and a GTX 650Ti. I have 2 monitors, 1x1080p and 1x4K. I also have a laptop with a i7-6500U, a Quadro 500M and a 1080p screen, to which I connect a 4k external monitor.

I set Windows 10 scaling at 200% so that everything is like a 1080p monitor at 100% in size. In Autocad, with that setting, the UI is at a normal size. The problem is that everything is scaled up, including the lines width. That makes the lines pixelated, like a 1080p screen. The only solution that I have is to set windows scaling to 100% ; that makes the lines width at 4K but the UI is so small it's unusable.

What I mean is that the lines are scaled 200% which make them effectively 1080p. The minimum width that I can draw at 100% is 2 times smaller that the one I can draw at 200%. I only have that problem in Autocad.

I use Autocad 2018, but I also installed Autocad 2021 to test if there was any difference. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 13
pendean

>>>...I use Autocad 2018, but I also installed Autocad 2021...<<<
Most folks like me with non-perfect hawkeye vision find 4k "too small" and "blurry" and, well, everything else described in this post by you and others: perhaps you are a member of this not-so-exclusive club?

Compromise seems to be the solution. Pick the least worst option and ride the wave.

HTH
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I use 4k monitors since 7 years. Does Autocad really only works in 1080p in 2020 ? If yes, that's pretty sad for a software at this price point.

Message 7 of 13
RobDraw

Why have 4K monitors if you are going to use 200% scaling to make them look like 1080?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 13
nrz13
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw 
The intent of the 2x resolution in the same physical area is that, for people with good vision, text and graphics are supposed to appear less pixelated.  Text and round graphics definitely appear more jagged on my 30" monitors at 2560x1600 resolution than on a 4K+ monitor.

If you don't have great vision or attention to detail, you probably wouldn't notice a difference if asked, although it's supposed to cause less eye strain, the benefits of which you might gain even if you don't perceive it.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

you have to set a scaling factor otherwise the monitor is unusable. You must use 200% scaling. The programmers of the software have to include high resolution images of all menu options (which Autocad did not do) otherwise they will be blurry. And they also have to make sure that the primary function of the software will work in 4K-6K monitors. 

In my case, the lines are as narrow as a 1080p monitor can provide, but Autocad doesn't understand that it is a 4K screen.

I will try it on macOS with a 3K screen.

Message 10 of 13
RobDraw

I have run AutoCAD on a 55" 4K TV and I think the resolution is set at 120% but not sure. It definitely is not 200%.

Good luck with your quest. No one here can change the program for you.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Yes on a screen that size yes.

What I'm asking in this post is how to set Autocad to work properly in 4K. All the answers point to the fact that Autocad "works" in 4K but that it is not natively supported and that the only way around is to use a 100% scaling factor, so 1/4 the size of the normal UI.

Autocad is supposed to be a professional software. I tried some free cad software (that cost next to nothing compared to an Autocad licence)  just to be sure and they work better in 4k.

Message 12 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I can only repeat what I have asked before:

>> Also please create and upload a screenshot (make sure it is not scaled

>> by any image-software so we can really look exactly to each of the pixels

>> around a text and around a line you have drawn.

Even if the menu icons might look blurry because of the DPI scaling I doubt that the vectors a doubled in width.

That's why I asked for a screenshot (want to add: turn lineweight display off and turn off smoothing in _GRAPHICSCONFIG ... so I can see in the screenshot that the line is 1 or 2 pixel wide).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 13 of 13
martin.vogt64FLY

There is a workaround in Windows 10 for "blurred apps when scaling". Find the file FusionLauncher.exe > right klick > Properties > Compatibility > Change High DPI Settings > Override High DPI scaling behavior > Set to "Application". Controls might a bit smaller but the blurring is gone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report