Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution problem scaling in AutoCAD 2016

144 REPLIES 144
Message 1 of 145
Anonymous
41780 Views, 144 Replies

4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution problem scaling in AutoCAD 2016

We will be replacing all our CAD workstation this year including monitors supporting UHD (4k) resolution. We just had first one configured. And here is the problem – AutoCAD 2016 is not doing very good job scaling fonts, dialog boxes etc. “Start” screen is completely not able to scale in 4k resolution. We use 4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution (UHD), 60Hz on U28D590D - Samsung UHD 28” Monitor. Standard HD resolution (1080p) works perfect. Are you planning to address this in some future service packs or fixes?

Tags (3)
144 REPLIES 144
Message 81 of 145
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Not on my laptop, where I need the fix.
Message 82 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

witch model do you have? and if it's not a problem can you exactly explain me again how you secceed in fixing? thank you in advance!

Message 83 of 145
BillGlennie

Thank you for your observations on the appearance of AutoCAD on high resolution displays. The development team is looking for comments about your experience with setting the Windows display scale to 150% or more, to accommodate newer monitors. Please take this quick survey (5 minutes), if you have tried to use AutoCAD this way.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Bill Glennie, on behalf of the AutoCAD Team

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 84 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: BillGlennie

Im also having the same issue as post # 56.

Please fix this problem.  It's F'en annoying just in case the point hasn't been made thus far.

I have a bandaid solution to post #56,  I lowered the resolution from 3840x2160 to 2048x11252 which took care of the scaling issues in ACAD but degraded the text in Windows10.  At least it works for now.  But this is just a bandaid.

I use Land Desktop 2009 and Civil3D 2015.  Both have the same issues.

Message 85 of 145
pendean

Read the post above yours (aka Autodesk is just now getting around to it) http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/4k-3840-x-2160-resolution-problem-sca...

BTW, I suspect no one is going to backtrack to fix LDT2009 and there is a chance 2015 products may be left behind as well. Be ready.
Message 86 of 145
Anonymous

Great, so they want us to do thier work in tesing it out and reporting back where the problems are. 

Hey AutoDesk, I have a solution for you. Invest in a laptop with 4k resolution (small cost vs. how much you guys charge for subscriptions) then TEST it our yourself instead of wasting everyone's time doing YOUR work...  It is not my job to tell you where the issues are when its clearly visible as soon as you use a 4k resolution screen.

Love,

Pissed off acad user.

Message 87 of 145
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Great, so they want us to do thier work in tesing it out and reporting back where the problems are. 

Hey AutoDesk, I have a solution for you. Invest in a laptop with 4k resolution (small cost vs. how much you guys charge for subscriptions) then TEST it our yourself instead of wasting everyone's time doing YOUR work...  It is not my job to tell you where the issues are when its clearly visible as soon as you use a 4k resolution screen.

Love,

Pissed off acad user.

You are free to use anyone of a dozen other programs anytime you want.

We are users just like yourself....This is peer-peer support for the most part.

Message 88 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Are you really a CAD user? or just do not know how monitors work.

Simple answer HIGHER RES MONITORS will let you view small details without zooming in, 2mm X 2mm space can display text clearly as opposed to HD monitors you'll only see pixels.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 89 of 145
jggerth

It _might_ be worth pointing out that text of 2mm (physical display size) is about 5.5 pt text.  That puts a spin on the phrase 'fine print'.  Cerainly nit a size I want to spend my day working with.

And for much of the population, including almost everyone past the age of 40, that size is illegible.

Message 90 of 145
jpryne

Yeah, I'd agree that's a bit exaggerated for most, and yet at 47, I find 4K very nice, if not vital, for having lots of text on-screen when programming.
Message 91 of 145
Anonymous

Ok point taken.

But still 4k monitors are getting cheaper, A lot of people are switching to 4k. 4k support needs to come now.

@Anonymous" you'll definitely feel the difference of 1080p and 4k, the upcoming generation of professionals will definitely be more productive using a 27" 4k monitor. with precise mouse handling combined with 4k I don't see why using 4k won't be more productive. 

No need to be anti-progressive even if it does'nt benefit CAD a 4k workspace can still be useful.

Message 92 of 145
smattie

Been a CAD user before you were born - Rememeber Catia?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 93 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: smattie

Sorry for being rude,

I came here expecting that someone would be able to help fix the problem, but what I got was an opinion which implies " 4k are for movies and games, a suggestion to use another monitor." did'nt realize that comment was posted last year.

sorry for disturbing you guys, will stay out of the conversation. I will just wait for the fix. 

Message 94 of 145
BradyHaws

TonTon

Have you tried this.  It works for me on my Surface Pro 4.  

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

I agree with you there is now reason Autodesk shouldn't make their software scale to high DPI screens.

Good luck.

Message 95 of 145
karenannfung

Hi there, so there is a solution of sorts that I have used on my Dell XPS 15 that does wonders that I will use until Autodesk gets 4k support.

• Make sure AutoCAD is closed.
  • Right-click on AutoCAD shortcut and click on 'Properties'
  • Click on 'Compatability' tab
  • Un-check the box that says 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'
  • Click 'Okay'

Then you start AutoCAD and it should load with a bigger intro startup and you can tell because it's not as crisp. Everything should scale accordingly.

I found this from another site, I don't recall which one so I can't reference or give credit. If any of you guys find it, just link it!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tags (1)
Message 96 of 145

Hello!

I want to share this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwP2I-mQcoU

Simon Noyola Rivero
Application Engineer
Down to Earth Technologies Inc.
Autodesk Authorized Consultant
Mexico, Central america. Venezuela & Caribbean
[phones: +52 55 62629663
                +52 55 26153133]
[Mobile: +52 1 55 24450831
               +52 1 55 19651029]
email: simon.noyola@gmail.com
            snoyola@d2et.com
skype user: SNOYOLAR

Message 97 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: Simon_Noyola_Rivero

Video is promosing but english would help.

Message 98 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

Gimmick? HA! Come to my house and see my 4k 3D 65" Samsung Curved display. I use it for everything, and it is incredible. Compared to my old 65" 2K display, there is no comparison. 

Message 99 of 145
Anonymous

@jggerth wrote:

At this point, there seems to be little reason to 'upgrade' to 4K monitors.  In all seriousness, a monitor ought to last you close to a decade, and there are lot of high quality 24" & 27" displays that will work wonders for you compared to the 17" CRT.

Just get two 24" and one 27", and compare productivity (not movies or games)

3D TV was a flash in the pan, and there's little reason to think 4K si going to be different -- since the primary goal of both those initiatives is to sell hardware.

Wow that is some mindblowing conjecture.  Reminds me of when Ken Olson said: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home"

3D TV is a gimmick.... and who knows, that might become a thing someday, certainly not in my household, but I'm sure for many it will.  

With monitor prices constantly dipping in prices, you'll most certainly see a significant rise in the ownership of 4k displays.  These scaling issues AutoCAD has are ridiculous, you want me to lower my users resolution in order to see the properties window better in ONE problem application.  It's definitely an inconvenience that I believe should be resolved.

Message 100 of 145
ericgarlez

I must say Dan Antonielli's solution it's so simply, short, and clean. It was good while it lasted because in the most recent update for windows 10 Dan's manifest file make it freezes and crash autocad when execute almost any command.
This topic's forum started more than a year ago and there's no solution for this huge problem... can't belive that the only fix comes from a single user and not from the enormous developers, microsoft, autodesk, dell, etc.

Over a year!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report